Purchased The Nikon 400mm 2.8

My Amex was smoking but i had to do it! I was sick of using the 70-200mm with the 1.7 tel.

First question:

How do you pack away the hood?

And if anyone has the nkon cl-2 soft case, how do you pack your 400mm into it?

Love the lens. Sharp as hell!!!

Will post them later.

J

JimboJones

the VR version I am looking into this lens would love to se some pictures :smile:

My Amex was smoking but i had to do it! I was sick of using the 70-200mm with the 1.7 tel.

First question:

How do you pack away the hood?

And if anyone has the nkon cl-2 soft case, how do you pack your 400mm into it?

Love the lens. Sharp as hell!!!

Will post them later.

Buy the aftermarket foot for it - you'll never get it to pack well into a backpack or other unless you have the lower profile foot.

As for the hood, I put it loosely around the front of the lens in a Lowepro. I turn down the locking knobs so they sit lower into the hood and don't catch on stuff and break off. Nikon charges $43.50 just for the knobs, btw!

Sean

The only lens I truly "lust" after. But using a monopod? Think I would have gotten a tripod...maybe with a Wimberly to boot. I would need all the steadiness I could muster.

Congratulations and enjoy!!

Buy the aftermarket foot for it - you'll never get it to pack well into a backpack or other unless you have the lower profile foot.

As for the hood, I put it loosely around the front of the lens in a Lowepro. I turn down the locking knobs so they sit lower into the hood and don't catch on stuff and break off. Nikon charges $43.50 just for the knobs, btw!

Sean

Thanks my lens did come with a lower profile monopod foot.

NICE!!! Finally some long glass :p Congrats!!!
That lens is killer with a TC as well! The f2.8 will help when the sun goes down too...
B&H I am guessing?
Lets see some samples!

I just got a TC14EII and with the 200-400f4 went out looking for wild life. All hand held...and on a D300 body means even more reach (more chance of blur!). This is what i came up with:

http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian/tc14test

My favorite of the day:
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and
original.jpg

NICE!!! Finally some long glass :p Congrats!!!
That lens is killer with a TC as well! The f2.8 will help when the sun goes down too...
B&H I am guessing?
Lets see some samples!

I just got a TC14EII and with the 200-400f4 went out looking for wild life. All hand held...and on a D300 body means even more reach (more chance of blur!). This is what i came up with:

http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian/tc14test

My favorite of the day:
original.jpg

and
original.jpg

Woah!!!! NICE PICS! yeah im going to hit the ponds in the Phelham Bay mabey tommorow morning, but i have a invite to sit on top of the ferry terminal building tommorow, DOT employees only, and im going to go there prepared for some fireworks! Its gonna be a blast, pardon the pun. Im gonna take my D3 with the 14-24mm on a pod and my D300 handheld with my 85mm 1.4 for the low light.

Dougie told me there was a hawk a few days back that you shot. You have those pictures around?

Nice pics, Brian! I am sure you'll like that lens.

The foot is a joke though - you can see it working like a spring on the tripod's head! I have replaced mine:

original.jpg

A friend of mine is using it handheld all the time and get excellent results. (He also has biceps the size of my thighs!)

My 400/2.8 AFS-II is a bit soft wide open. I think it becomes really really shape at arouynd f4.5 - f5. Do you found the same with the new version?

Oh yes, this lens works very well with TCs, even the 2.0.

Nice pics, Brian! I am sure you'll like that lens.

The foot is a joke though - you can see it working like a spring on the tripod's head! I have replaced mine:

original.jpg

A friend of mine is using it handheld all the time and get excellent results. (He also has biceps the size of my thighs!)

My 400/2.8 AFS-II is a bit soft wide open. I think it becomes really really shape at arouynd f4.5 - f5. Do you found the same with the new version?

Oh yes, this lens works very well with TCs, even the 2.0.

WOW is that a custom handle? Or did you buy it prefab? Can you take a few more holding it?

Woah!!!! NICE PICS! yeah im going to hit the ponds in the Phelham Bay mabey tommorow morning, but i have a invite to sit on top of the ferry terminal building tommorow, DOT employees only, and im going to go there prepared for some fireworks! Its gonna be a blast, pardon the pun. Im gonna take my D3 with the 14-24mm on a pod and my D300 handheld with my 85mm 1.4 for the low light.

Dougie told me there was a hawk a few days back that you shot. You have those pictures around?

Ponds = FUN!
Post your firework shots...I was going to try and get out tonight but no luck.
Here is the red tailed hawk...nothing special. (I hate the light he is on!)
original.jpg

WOW is that a custom handle? Or did you buy it prefab? Can you take a few more holding it?

Hi Brian, I made this myself from pieces of aluminum alloy. The ring is made from stainless steel.

original.jpg

The handle is curved so that it can be used without a plate. It is really quite easy to make if you got the right tools. I was using the milling machine in a friend's workshop.

Lowe Pro AW 600

I have the 400 VR, and use a Lowe Pro AW 600 (which I think is no longer available). I can fit the 400, and a D300 body into the case. I reverse the second lens hood and place it back on the the first one so the lens is shorter by about 3 inches. Then it just fits with a little room to spare. Enjoy the lens it great.

Mike

PS, I have replaced the original foot with one from Wimberly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim: Thanks for showing that Bracket. I was thinking of somthing really close to what you made there. Get that bad boy ti-nitraded, and sell it on E-Bay. Did you use T6 AL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom