Purchasing in the US..

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,
    to make you smile, and even if I don't know if it's the right forum to post this question, I'd like to know from you which are the largest online shops there. With euro at its most agains dollar, I'm seriously thinking to evaluate some overseas purchase.

At the moment I can think of (please correct and add as you want)

http://www.adorama.com
    http://www.cameta.com
    http://www.keh.com

What else? Could you please tell me your overall preferences for prices and shipping and overall customer fulfillment for these and other online sellers?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I used www.jr.com once in a while. They are pretty good. I just don't know do they ship international.

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have used all the above dealers. The last choice IMO would be Adorama, but this is not so much a negative as the fact that I use them less than the others. Cameta is literally just down the road from Nikon. B&H is the ne plus ultra of camera dealers. I have made many purchases from KEH, all used, but they are competitive on new gear also. I have shopped at J&R for oevr 20 years, and just got my 60mm 2.8 micro from them.

4. Thanks a lot to you all... just a question, maybe I misunderstood..
    "Cameta is down the road from Nikon" means they are more Canon-provided and not that much from Nikon? Or viceversa they are becoming a great Nikon reseller?

Thanks again..

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Edward is correct. I read a post at Nikonians where the poster was told by a Nikon tech. to check out Cameta, they are right down the road.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dino, 'down the road' is an American English idiom meaning 'in close geographical proximity'. Er, it's near Nikon.

I use Adorama and KEH and have been very satisfied with them. I've also bought from B&H. Buy from them once, and they will keep you supplied with their amazing catalog forever!

7. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Hi Dino,

It's probably better for you to take a plane and go to the U.S. and buy the equipment. If you can go even for three days in the fall, the price difference between Italy and the U.S. is MORE than the cost of your airfare. I only say this because if you have the equipment shipped to you here, you will pay a LOT in customs because you will want to insure it when it is sent, and I'm not sure that designating it as a "gift" works anymore.

If you are interested in finding out what the duty is on the equipment, send me an email. Unfortunately, when you pay duty on these imports you pay DAZIO sia sull importo della merce che il costo della spedizione + IVA su quella cifra totale (spedizione + assicurazione inclusa)... Alla fine....

8. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    In this case... it is a LITERAL description. Cameta and Nikon are both located on Route 110. They really are right "down the road". :biggrin::biggrin: