1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pure magic

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. D300 + 400vr
    the 400 is unlike anything i have ever shot....they put some magic in this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

my my my ...u got braggin rights with that glass, Randy. ya it's got MAGIC for sure. and in your hands it's a TOXIC MIX!!! ....;-)))

3. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice series, besides the incredible glass, nice decisive moment stuff....

4. Wow Randy. Great stuff. Are you on a monopod here?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  5. Great shots Randy - their facial expressions are priceless! Now quit lolly-gaggin' and shoot us some Ospreys!

6. Apparently the 400 only captures hilarious faces. Please show the bird power of the lens.

7. randy,
    you are killing me with that.... D300 stuff
    now..... you know i'm not going to buy an DX camera again

so.....
    how can i CON you into shooting a game with your D3+400/2.8 AND..... 14TC?
    can i even do that
    maybe if I offer to buy every picture you take

since it is fairly well established that my 200/2+14TC is the equivalent of the 300/2.8
    then....
    can i NOT assume that the 400/2.8+TC14 on my D3.... will be as good as the 400/2.8 on your D300?

8. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Greg,

Seems like it would be close. You'd lose a little reach 560mm w/ the 1.4 converter on the D3 versus 600mm on the D300. Plus of course the extra stop for the tele. All-in-all though, 560mm at f4 on a D3 or D700 ain't half bad!

9. i try not to think about all that...it makes this more like work....no more TC's for me for sports...everything is 2.8 from now on

when softball and baseball start I will def use the D3 + 400

10. thx Mark

thx Jeff

thx Jack...yes on the monopod, a Gitzo 3551 with the new RRS MH-01 head and the new RRS BP-Pro II clamp

thx Nick...Ft Desoto & Viera next month

not for a few more weeks

11. ok....
    fair enough
    i agree about the 2.8
    funny how this images seem like they have so much more DOF than one would think with f/2.8.... am i wrong about that?

12. it depends on far away the subject was....
    when i reach across the field i get alot more dof
    you would be very surprised by how much some of these were cropped...the d300's 12mp has alot of resolution

13. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I can't believe how sharp those are. Really amazing. That's the kind of lens I'd be afraid to try out at the store because I know I cannot be trusted:eek: 

14. thx Jonathan

don't ever rent or borrow one of these...trust me on this....
    this lens has optics that are unreal...nikon has outdone themselves on this one

15. that is quite fascinating
    however you are getting the results you've shown here.... they're incredible

16. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    You know how I feel about the 400 ,& these aren't helping.
    Its a super lens for sure.

17. here's a moderate example of reach/crop....i have some way more extreme and many that were closer to full frame....

here's the original...the amt of foreground is due to the sensor i use and my always placing the sensor on the eyes (i almost never miss the eyes and the d300 makes it easier for me to see the eyes because it is providing a deeper fov)...now this pic crops a great 4x6

[​IMG]

crop

[​IMG]

18. if i had known it was this good i would have had one sooner...i expected it to be very good but it has already surpassed my expectations by alot

19. wow.....
    so you are always using one of the TOP sensors?
    interesting

a great TIP from you
    thank you

20. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I tend to use the top sensors the most too when I shoot, just to get the eyes in focus. I always strive for that as that is the first thing most people look at is the face and if it's not in focus then they are turned off.

So Viera next month? I might be able to swing a trip to Viera in December when I'm down in Sarasota for my yearly trip down. I'm definitely going to MI next year. Hopefully I'll have my 300 f/2.8 by then.

Great shots Randy...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.