1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pure Trouble!

Discussion in 'People' started by neverman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. neverman

neverman

Jan 29, 2008
    Oregon
    My Son... Front yard capture, still working on my skills. I have no PP abilities, just sharpened and some dust removed.

Comments welcomed, I'm looking to learn more. I did crop it in the image I edited. left side no graphic from his shirt shows and from the top I trimmed to just cut off some wisps of hair. Not sure why I uploaded the uncropped one but I'm at work and can't fix it through the firewall :smile:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

kim, it's not a bad shot at all. it shows a lot of character !

3. It's a nice photo. Background is soft and the young man is very sharp. Harsh lighting caused the hair to seriously over-expose, but in this photo it's acceptable. You made a very good image of your son.
    Learn basics, like remove the lint from the shirt (shoulder area). Also, on single people photos it's often best to flip the camera and do vertical image.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well I think your DOF is good. There are a couple of things that really stand out to me. First the harsh sun on his cheek and the blown out hair. I think if you are going to include his knees you need to see more of them. I looked at them a couple of times and couldn't figure out what he was holding. I realized it was his legs. So the crop was done a little too much. If you post the image before the crop...we can help you and indentify where a good crop should be.

This picture was done correctly with the sun either to the side or to the back of him. However you needed to flash fill to brighten up the dark shadows in his face. Had you'd use a flash, his ears wouldn't have looked like they are glowing. Don't be afraid to use a flash outside in the bright sun.

We are all here to learn and exchange ideas...thank you for letting us critique your image. You have a very handsome boy with a great smile. Such a cutie.

Sen

5. neverman

neverman

Jan 29, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post the correct image when I get home that has the dust removed and a bit less blown highlights. I thought that was what I had on my thumb drive but was wrong.

The flash comment is interesting, I would've been stuck with using the pop-up flash instead of the sb-800, would this have worked Seneca?

Charlie I took a couple of him with the camera held "properly" but he always had the dreaded "forced smile" of a seven year old. So this one was better to work with IMO.

Thanks Topher, some days he reminds me of myself. Not sure why my Mom let me live with some of the stuff I pulled :) 

6. it's a nice shot
    you have been given some great and useful advice above... i won't repeat it

i'd like to see YOUR cropped version
    if you'd get him out of the middle of the frame... it would be an improvement

nice-looking young man
    great expression

7. There are some great things about this photo--his expression, the sharpness, of the subject, and the nice blurred background. It just would have been so much better if you could have found a spot without such harsh lighting. Shady areas are so much better. It's hard in the summer when the sun is so bright. I got some similar ones yesterday.

All in all a really nice effort. Start visiting the retouch forum and the retouch forum at DPreview. You will learn a lot there about post processing. Ask questions and you'll get a lot of help. It's how I've learned.

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.