Purple Gallinule

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobbyv, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Sweetwater Wetlands, Gainesville, FL. Shot just after the "+" button fell out of the back of my D7200. Yep, it just fell out.
    1505on.

2. Nice seeing one up out of the weeds a bit. Nice shot.

3. Thanks. You have to put in some time to catch them out of cover.

4. This is a new one on me, don't think I have ever seen one. Nice shot.

5. I agree with Fred. Nice one!

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Wonderful pose and rare image where they are indeed separated a bit from the chaotic habitat! LOL! Well done!

7. photogramps

photogramps Guest

Lovely colour, detail & composition ... you obviously don't need the "+" button! :D

8. Great capture. My wife just laughs at the size of their feet, especially young ones. They look like 1st graders with size 12 feet. They are like swamp rats around southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana. Especially the common. The commons are everywhere. The purples are fewer, it seems. I've only been able to get a few useable shots of the purple.

9. killer shot

10. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Beautiful bird, you nailed that shot.

11. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Very nice shot.

12. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    The purples are scarce. The common are well.... common in the area. Have you tried Anahuac NWR or Cameron Prairie NWR? I have seen both at those refuges.

13. Yeah, my wife and I go both places regularly. In fact, we went through CPNWR day before yesterday. Didn't see much this time. Actually, very few gallinules. Mosty juveniles.

14. Terrific shot.

15. Such a nice catch, Bobby! I'm fascinated with its feet.

16. ariel777

ariel777

Mar 14, 2009
    Cambria, CA
    Excellent across the board!

17. Perfect shot. I saw my first one last April in Sarasota and, as you suggested, had to wait for a long time to get him in the open. When I finally got the shot, the lighting was poor (and perhaps my technique as well) and I was bummed. Yours is the one I wanted to capture, but failed.

Terrific looking bird. Glad I got to see one in person.

18. Incidentally, for those in the Sarasota FL area, these guys hang out at Celery Fields, should you want to check them out.