Put in my pre-order: Nikon Z6

Real Name
Ian
First impressions are positive. Even in my living room with dim light, the AF did as good as I thought.
Right? Kinda makes you question what the hell the early reviewers were complaining about. I have no problems with AF speed using the native 24-70 S, the 70-200 VR II on the FTZ, or a Sigma Art 35 on the FTZ. All focus very quickly and accurately.

I tell you what the EVF is incredible! :eek::)
Agreed, it's great. Very big, bright, and detailed.

Real Name
Ian
I'm looking forward to try Z6 and compare it against my Sony A7R3. I keep thinking about Z6 and 24-70/4. If Nikon made their S 24-70/4 as good as Sony 24-105/4 FE at this small size then I will be very happy.

Welcome back Steven.

If you have an A7R III, why are you looking at the Z6 and not the Z7? The only reason I say that is after getting used to the A7R III's files, it could be tough to go back to the 24MP images that you'd get from the Z6 (or an A7 III).

The 24-70 S is a nice lens. Good and sharp, well built. If I'm honest though, I wish it would've been a 24-105 or 24-120. With no 70-200 f/4 on the lens roadmap, we're a bit SOL when it comes to native telephotos (unless you plan on buying the native 70-200 f/2.8, which I do not). Getting out to 105 or 120mm of reach would make it that bit more versatile as a walk-around, vacation lens. Having said that, the collapsible design is very nice, and helps keep the lens compact for storage and transportation purposes.

Welcome back Steven.

If you have an A7R III, why are you looking at the Z6 and not the Z7? The only reason I say that is after getting used to the A7R III's files, it could be tough to go back to the 24MP images that you'd get from the Z6 (or an A7 III).

The 24-70 S is a nice lens. Good and sharp, well built. If I'm honest though, I wish it would've been a 24-105 or 24-120. With no 70-200 f/4 on the lens roadmap, we're a bit SOL when it comes to native telephotos (unless you plan on buying the native 70-200 f/2.8, which I do not). Getting out to 105 or 120mm of reach would make it that bit more versatile as a walk-around, vacation lens. Having said that, the collapsible design is very nice, and helps keep the lens compact for storage and transportation purposes.

Hi IJM,

Thank you!

That's a great question. I don't think I will give up my Sony 7R3 anytime soon. So, I'm looking for a 24MP sensor to replace my travel Fuji kit. 42MP RAW files are huge for me already ;-). I'm looking forward to get more JPEGs 24MP straight out of camera. I love Sony RAWs but not a fan of SOOC JPEGs, so no A7III.
I know 24-105mm is a great focal range, I like it too. However, I would like to have 24-70 to keep its size small and light weight. I owned Sony 24-70/2.8 GM for couple years, and had 24-105/4 for a short period of time. I ended up selling both of them because of their sizes. When I saw Nikon S 24-70/4, I thought wow... it's the one I would like to have for travel. Sony 24-70/4 is not big, however it's not great, specially on a 42MP sensor. I think Z6 and 24-70/4 would replace my Fuji kit perfectly as my travel camera. I like the top LCD, too! And last but not least ;-), I cannot live without IBIS or in-camera VR since I moved to Sony. Nikon made it right. So Canon EOS R is not my option.

Cheers,

Real Name
Andrew
Right? Kinda makes you question what the hell the early reviewers were complaining about. I have no problems with AF speed using the native 24-70 S, the 70-200 VR II on the FTZ, or a Sigma Art 35 on the FTZ. All focus very quickly and accurately.

I think they are being just way too critical, because if the current climate of the camera world.

That

I think it is an uber critical mindset now, with all the competition. Is the AF perfect? No, but it is not as dreadful as some of the Youtubers have let on. Right now I'm speaking specifically in low light. I still need to run about and give this thing a good test, but initial signs are positive and it is looking like the D750 and possibly the f-mount 24-70/2.8G will be up for sale sooner than later.

Real Name
Andrew
I definitely agree with you here...

You know, I struggle with that only because I see the size of the f-mount 24-120/4 and think that even a z-mount 24-120 my be a bit bigger than what Nikon wanted to represent. The extra reach is always welcome, but I think I'll be more than satisfied with the current Z24-70. I've got the f-mount 70-300AF-P as my telephoto and if it performs as well as it does on the D500/D750, then I think I've already gotten myself a capable walk around kit.

You know, I struggle with that only because I see the size of the f-mount 24-120/4 and think that even a z-mount 24-120 my be a bit bigger than what Nikon wanted to represent. The extra reach is always welcome, but I think I'll be more than satisfied with the current Z24-70. I've got the f-mount 70-300AF-P as my telephoto and if it performs as well as it does on the D500/D750, then I think I've already gotten myself a capable walk around kit.

Yes I re-thought my previous post a while afterwards and I also have to admit there is a distinct size/weight advantage of having a 24-120 and thus 24-70 should work for me until 70-200 release.

On a side note, I wonder if they'll make a 70-200 F4 like they did in the F mount series?

Real Name
Ian
On a side note, I wonder if they'll make a 70-200 F4 like they did in the F mount series?
It’s not on Ge current road map, which is what bugs me. With how good the sensor is in the Z6/7, we don’t need f/2.8 zooms. But, the stigma still exists so Nikon will make them just to keep up wth Sony and Canon.

I have no desire in buying a 70-200 f2.8 for my Z, when I already have one for my D500. I want a smaller and lighter lens, and the f4 could’ve been that lens (hell, make it like the 24-70 with a collapsible design to reduce the packing size).

Another we want a 24-120 vote, here. Until the Z mount version (hopefully) appears, I’ll use the F mount version.

Real Name
Andrew
The other thing that got my attention this morning. The size of that mount.... It just appears MASSIVE to me when up against the original f-mount.

It didn't got me until I had my Df sitting next to it and was holding the body cap on my hand.

Real Name
Andrew
That's exactly the kit that Thom Hogan is now recommending for travel:

Nikon Z Lens Sets
I was just at my local so using the 70-300. Performance wise, it was just as good as on A DSLR. I'll let you know what I think after I get the images onto the computer.

I had to swing by my local camera store and get another XQD card. I only had the one and it is in the D500 full time, and the camera store is not that far from the zoo... So it all worked out. LoL.

Real Name
Ian
Yes @gryphon1911 , please do post your thoughts about the AF-P on the Z6. I’ll likely be looking at picking one of those up or a 70-200 f4, because I really don’t want to use the f/2.8 all the time.

I might list my 70-200mm f4 VR on sale soon if anyone is interested. :D I need to take photos, but I'd rate it a 9/9+ with just just minor wear on the gold lettering. Barrel and glass are clean and the lens is tack sharp.

Real Name
Ian
I might list my 70-200mm f4 VR on sale soon if anyone is interested. :D I need to take photos, but I'd rate it a 9/9+ with just just minor wear on the gold lettering. Barrel and glass are clean and the lens is tack sharp.
I may be interested in it Jon, with no native 70-200 f/4 on the listed road map. I’ll let you know.

Latest threads

Top Bottom