PW's AND CLS ?????????

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by NJDJ, May 1, 2007.

1. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    Qustion 1:

Okay lighting experts, can you use both CLS and a PW at the same time? Here's what I'm thinking: SU-800 on camera, SB-800 triggered by the SU, PW conected to the SB-800 PC terminal to synch a Vivitar with a another PW on it. The Vivitar is out of line of sight. So, can it be done?

Equipment used: SU, SB, 2 Pocket Wizards, the Vivitar

Quesion 2:

Lets say I'm only using PWs. How the heck do I meter? Must I have a separate flash meter? I know this is a newbie question but I've only used CLS (TTL) to date.

Thanks,

-Dean

2. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    One more question:

Given the metering issue, why on earth would someone choose PWs if they could possibly use CLS and get TTL? I want to believe and drink the strobist koolaid :smile: . I do think it would be cool to have greater flexibility with the line of sight issue, but the metering thing seems like such a negative. More $$ for the PWs and I would have to buy a meter. Plus, it seems okay to use a meter for studio but for candids how do the folks with PWs make it work?

3. Good questions...

I have the gear to try this so I will give it a go tomorrow if I have a minute

4. Word on the street is that they can't be used together. If you want CLS with remote capability, use the SU-800. Check out strobist.com and the flickr strobist group for some great off-camera lighting tutorials, articles, and Q&A threads. Very informative.

I think people go for the PW's especially because they are so reliable. Rarely misfire, range is incredibly long (1600 ft. or something), and since they are RF, you can use them around corners, in other rooms, etc. Yes, the downside is that you lose CLS, you have to learn to set the remote flashes/strobes manually. People say that's not a big deal given enough practice. I personally am going to try this off-camera "kool-aid" drink with some e-bay triggers first... much cheaper than PW's, and getting more reliable all the time.

5. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Metering? Simple.

1. Preview the image on the back of the camera.

2. Adjust flash, and/or aperture/SS accordingly

3. Lather

4. Rinse

5. Repeat :wink:

6. hahaha

7. I don't think you can mix the two. CLS uses iTTL and you have to manually set the flashes with the PW's. Me personally, I love my wizards and didn't care for my SU-800 at all.

8. kavawava

kavawava

Aug 8, 2006
    I thought I was a fan of CLS at first, but then I got some PW IIs and there is just no comparison. They fire all the time, every time, no matter what; and i'm willing to sacrifice CLS for that reliability.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.