Q- Best lens under $1000 and under $500

Ok, so I'm saving up a bit to by some Glass, in the meantime I'd like to see what everyone out there has to suggest for me for short term use now. I need to distract myself for a bit with another lens it seems and likely keep.

Im looking for a lens to buy but don't want to spend to much on it. Im interested to see whats everyone using thats sub $500, and also between $500-$1000. If you had to pick 1 of your favorite lens in those categories (that you actually use) what would it be guys?

Keep in mind regardless of what lenses I already have, I'd really like to see what your opinions are and am hoping it'll persuade me a bit.

Curveball- Does anyone use there suggested lens for video as well, and have had good results? (mmm...zeiss... ok never mind haha)

I've no preference nikkor lenses or non, all are good. It just has to be an FX lens. I shoot a lot of portraits and find myself in low light scenarios while shooting on the street pretty often.

Im guessing this will also be helpful for anyone here or lurking around who is a new photographer and need some insight on what's being used and approved.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
For portraits & lower light - Nikon 85 1.8G

Funny you say that, its in my amazon cart. haha Im avoiding checking out at the moment. Theres also 4% rewards back until 6/15.

My nominations:

Best FX lens under $200 - 50/1.8 G

Best FX lens under $500 - 70-300 VR (only $386 with the current $200 rebate - that's an insane bargain!!!).

Best FX lens under $1000 - 105 VR micro

Cheers

Mike

Real Name
Glen Rowe
I seem to have become somewhat of an evangelist for manual focus AI and AIS Nikkors lately. They would greatly increase the options within your price range, and would offer fast, high quality glass that is very enjoyable to use. For low light, street shooting and portraiture, good manual focus lenses can reap highly satisfactory results. As an added advantage, you can sell them for at least as much as you bought them for.

My picks:

Sub $500:
24-85 VR
85 1.8 G
50 1.8 G
28 1.8 G (used)

Sub $1000:
16-35 VR (used)
105 VR
300 f4 AFS (used)
24-120 f4 VR (used)

All these lenses can handle at minimum the sensor demands of the D800.

My nominations:

Best FX lens under $200 - 50/1.8 G

Best FX lens under $500 - 70-300 VR (only $386 with the current $200 rebate - that's an insane bargain!!!).

Best FX lens under $1000 - 105 VR micro

Cheers

Mike

I like those options a lot man. ill have to look at the 70-300 vr and 105 vr I really haven't handled them ever.

I seem to have become somewhat of an evangelist for manual focus AI and AIS Nikkors lately. They would greatly increase the options within your price range, and would offer fast, high quality glass that is very enjoyable to use. For low light, street shooting and portraiture, good manual focus lenses can reap highly satisfactory results. As an added advantage, you can sell them for at least as much as you bought them for.

Interesting, I actually went to b&h to check out a few Zeiss lenses. I found them to be simply stunning build quality and image quality wise. Id really have to have one on cam for a while to see if I can get use to the really long throw of the focus ring, I dont really know if I could commit to the long throw of the focus ring for everyday shooting at the moment. Can you recommend any other fast mf lenses that are a bit easier to focus?

My picks:

Sub $500:
24-85 VR
85 1.8 G
50 1.8 G
28 1.8 G (used)

Sub $1000:
16-35 VR (used)
105 VR
300 f4 AFS (used)
24-120 f4 VR (used)

All these lenses can handle at minimum the sensor demands of the D800.

+1 with your picks!

Interesting, I actually went to b&h to check out a few Zeiss lenses. I found them to be simply stunning build quality and image quality wise. Id really have to have one on cam for a while to see if I can get use to the really long throw of the focus ring, I dont really know if I could commit to the long throw of the focus ring for everyday shooting at the moment. Can you recommend any other fast mf lenses that are a bit easier to focus?

Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom