Q?: Sigma 150-600 S or Tamron 150-600 G2

I have shot with the tamron 150-600 g2 for about 2 years.
Great lens. Easy to hand hold. My copy is sharp- and I print large. I do not shoot brick walls so never tested the corners, but I had no complaints about sharpness.
It is a little slow to focus- but once locked on does well with birds in flight. Most of my images posted here this last year were shot with this lens.
It is too slow to track a bird coming straight at you- which my nikon long primes can do with ease. They also cost 5-10x as much. No free lunch.
Football season just started, so I am shooting games with the nikon 400mm 2.8. Too heavy for me to handhold- but wow what a lens. Puts the tamron to shame, but it should. It is sharper, focuses faster, better contrast, better color, better everything. It also cost almost 10x as much. Different tool for different needs. Is the tamron perfect? Nope. But when I am out handholding a lens in good light all day, the tamron is the lens I will pull out of the bag.
I have not shot enough with the sigma to have a useful opinion, I bought the tamron.
Gary

Have you considered the Sigma 150-600mm C version? It should be lighter. My only hesitation with the Tamron is that they seem slower to update lenses if there are compatibility issues. Sigma is very fast in issuing FW updates especially if you plan on using it on your Z camera.

Have you considered the Sigma 150-600mm C version? It should be lighter. My only hesitation with the Tamron is that they seem slower to update lenses if there are compatibility issues. Sigma is very fast in issuing FW updates especially if you plan on using it on your Z camera.
I have!
But now, I've thrown in the Nikon 200-500 to ponder about as well!

FYI. The zoom ring on the Tamron lens turns in the same direction as Nikon, Sigma turns in the opposite direction.
If you shoot fast action and you zoom by muscle memory this is important.
I gave up on Sigma, as I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and loosing shots. I gave it a good 20 minutes of use, then gave up on the Sigma in total frustration.
My lenses for fast sports, have to all zoom in the SAME direction.

FYI. The zoom ring on the Tamron lens turns in the same direction as Nikon, Sigma turns in the opposite direction.
If you shoot fast action and you zoom by muscle memory this is important.
I gave up on Sigma, as I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and loosing shots. I gave it a good 20 minutes of use, then gave up on the Sigma in total frustration.
My lenses for fast sports, have to all zoom in the SAME direction.
Truth be told, when you look at the numbers, I arguably shoot more with my Sigma ART glass than I do with my Nikons....
I also have the 50-100 ART ƒ1.8 and the 40mm ART ƒ1.4 as well....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom