Q: Why Didn't Nikon Make Any 'Canonet' Type Of Cameras?

Real Name
Andrew
I think they decided that the SP line, with the interchangeable lenses was the way they wanted to go.

Nikon has always seemed to shy away from the fixed lens/fixed focal length segment. Even in digital, the Nikon Coolpix A, could have been a great camera. I looked at it briefly and never pulled the trigger on one. I always saw the Fuji X100 series as better because of the controls and viewfinder.

I think they decided that the SP line, with the interchangeable lenses was the way they wanted to go.

Nikon has always seemed to shy away from the fixed lens/fixed focal length segment. Even in digital, the Nikon Coolpix A, could have been a great camera. I looked at it briefly and never pulled the trigger on one. I always saw the Fuji X100 series as better because of the controls and viewfinder.
That SP line was so old compared to the Canonet series though....(n)

Nikon's 35Ti and 28Ti were in their day highly regarded fixed-lens point and shoots (and apparently are sought-after), but that was the 1990s, several decades after the era of the Canonets.
Both of them didn't have fast 2.0 or faster glass like the Canonet series though.....
Plus factor in all the other (Yashica, Ricoh, Minolta, etc) fast glass rangefinders of similar type/style as the Canonet and it seems like Nikon missed the boat here...?

Real Name
Chris
I **think** it might have fallen under the 'Nikkormat' name...

But the Nikkormat was (is?) a really nice SLR camera. In some respects, better that its contemporary Nikon branded cameras. Maybe they would have called it Nikkormat SL* or something? But no. Nikon became the SLR camera company. Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Konica and Pentax all followed them there, leaving their non-SLR cameras behind. After the F, a non-SLR Nikon didn't catch fire until 1999's Coolpix 950 which (for me, and a lot of others apparently) ushered in the digital age.

* Single Lens

But the Nikkormat was (is?) a really nice SLR camera. In some respects, better that its contemporary Nikon branded cameras. Maybe they would have called it Nikkormat SL* or something? But no. Nikon became the SLR camera company. Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Konica and Pentax all followed them there, leaving their non-SLR cameras behind. After the F, a non-SLR Nikon didn't catch fire until 1999's Coolpix 950 which (for me, and a lot of others apparently) ushered in the digital age.

* Single Lens
Here ya' go!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/718216...igital-camera-211-mp?ref=shop_home_active_468

Latest threads

Top Bottom