Qestion about Nikon 1 and DSLR Lenses

I am seriously considering purchasing the V2 (or wait for V3) One the major reason is for the 2.7X crop factor. My question is how do your shoot with the 70-200 or 700 - 300?
Do you hand hold?
Can you add a plate to the bottom of convertor V2>dslr lens for a mono pod or tripod?
Any issues with stacking the convertor>1.4 X tele convertor (or extension tubes)>DSLR lens?
Thanks,
Tom

The converter FT-1 does have a 1/4-20 thd for plate or tripod mounting.
I use a 3" RRS plate (any long lens mtg plate is fine) to move balance forward to accommodate heavy lens Nikon DX 70-300mm, it works great. Very sharp lens, uses only the center area for V2 images. I never hand hold this lens, only on Arca type head / tripod.

Slight problem with RRS plate, it does interfere with V2 body when mounting or removing the FT-1. Small amount of material removed from RRS plate with a file and it now clears V2 body nicely.

Regards,
FK

I've used the V1 with the 28-300 hand held and gotten pretty good snapshots which is mainly what I use the V1 for.

I've attached a very small, generic, Arca-Swiss compatible plate that I picked up from some Ebay vendor in South Korea to my FT-1. It's a perfect fit and I have no problems attaching/detaching lenses. Not this one, but similar to it.

Tom,

It's fairly easy to handhold the 70-200 or 70-300 with the V2. Just be careful to support the heavier lens with your hand. The V2 lens mount isn't made to support the weight of a 70-200 f/2.8 lens (that is; don't dangle the camera around your neck by the strap with the lens attached).

I will be able to give it a shot later this week. Bought a reconditioned v1 with a 10 -30 lens with a 1 year warranty for $289 today!

Tom,

It's fairly easy to handhold the 70-200 or 70-300 with the V2. Just be careful to support the heavier lens with your hand. The V2 lens mount isn't made to support the weight of a 70-200 f/2.8 lens (that is; don't dangle the camera around your neck by the strap with the lens attached).

Yes - the manual is very specific about this. Nikon actually gives a weight limit (unlike with the DSLR lens mounts):

If the lens is heavier than 380g (13.4 oz) you should hold the combo by the lens, not by the camera!

That's a pretty low limit, actually. Most F-mount lenses are heavier than 13.4 oz.

Cheers

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom