Qimage One?

Real Name
Ken St John
I'd like to know if anyone else is using Qimage One for printing, and, if so, what you think of it.

I've been using the Canon Print Studio Pro with my Pro-100 for years and been generally happy with it. However, the one area where I've been frustrated is B&W printing. No matter the choice of paper or settings, I always get an off-color cast to the image vs true grays and blacks. Generally it goes a bit towards the magenta or beigh-ish, depending on the subject matter.

I was searching alternatives and this Qimage popped up. I got the 15-day trial and was pretty impressed ... I printed two identical images, one with Print Studio Pro and one with the Qimage One, and the Qimage print was definitely much better. Perhaps not 100% perfect, but at least 99.8%!! (Canon admits that you really need to step up to the 10-tank Pro-10 for true "studio quality" B&W vs the Pro-100).

I have no issues with color images on the Pro-100 using Print Studio Pro.

Qimage does strike me as a little pricey at $60, so before pulling the trigger I'd like to see if there any other opinions.

FWIW - I'm using a Canon Pro-100, iMac, and LR for the images.

Thanks in advance!!

Ken

I've used it for several years.
No complaints.
I'm using a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II.
At one point when I was not using OEM inks it was a must.
I would make sure I used a color profile that best fit the ink I was using.
I still use the Studio version which they no longer make or update.
Looks like they've made a lot of improvements.
I now only use OEM inks so Qimage get less use and like Allan I don't print that much now either.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've used it for several years.
No complaints.
I'm using a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II.
At one point when I was not using OEM inks it was a must.
I would make sure I used a color profile that best fit the ink I was using.
I still use the Studio version which they no longer make or update.
Looks like they've made a lot of improvements.
I now only use OEM inks so Qimage get less use and like Allan I don't print that much now either.
Thanks so much ... since I print quite a bit (and change images on our walls quite often), I use 3rd party inks and have been generally very happy with them. ($24 a batch vs $130). Good to know I can tweak things a bit if I need to!!

Cheers!!

Ken

I was OK using 3rd party inks until I noticed a lot of photos fading over time.
Switched back to OEM and no more problems with fading.

I have printed with qimage for years.
It is not a rip, you still use the printers drivers, and your icc profiles. It is a little quarky to set up.
But, once setup it is a breeze!! It saves all my settings. I run 4 different printers, with lots of different papers and jobs.
Once I have a job set up, with paper selected, profile defined, it saves everything so I can easily find it again.
It has a great support forum, even Mike himself has helped me out with some odd issues over the years.
Highly recommended.
You do have to know what you are doing. It will not manage your color workflow. It will not stop you from screwing up settings, double profiling, or over sharpening.
But you only have to get it right once, then it saves everything and you don't have to screw up again.
Gary

I test print with aftermarket inks, but I too have seen them fade. I would never sell a print using aftermarket inks. I don't trust the long term permenance.
Gary

Real Name
Ken St John
Sounds good. We rotate images quite often and do not "sell" them to anyone. Seeing new images every few months makes my decorator (aka my wife) happy!!

Totally agree that over the long term Canon's inks are probably much better!!

Ken

With the mention of "double profiling" above, it irks me that after all these years the software and hardware folks haven't figured a simple way to print without going thru multiple gyrations and screens/drop-downs.

If you are printing for your own walls, and change every couple of months I would use 3rd party inks as well.
They look great for a while. I have some hanging for months that look great, but sunlight cooks them pretty quickly.
Again, the prints I sell are printed with oem pigmented inks on really good paper, no brighteners, etc.
I get enough for my prints, I do not really care what ink or paper costs. I am printing a 70x40" print for a business foyer as we speak. Everything goes through qimage.
But for my own prints, and test prints, I print on some pretty crappy papers using duck pee or anything else for inks.
The more you print, the better at it you will get.
Gary

Real Name
Ken St John
Thanks very much ... purchased a copy this morning! I tried printing some color images and really can't see much difference between Q1 and Canon's Print Studio Pro (both are far superior to LR or the system's built in printing), but I still need to spend more time. But, there's a big difference with B&W images!!

Really appreciate the input!!

Ken

Glad it is working for you. If everything is set up properly I'm surprised you are seeing a big difference- as the programs are all using the native printer driver and profiles.
Qimage I think does do a little better job in upsampling and maybe a better job in sharpening.
Enjoy the journey.
I have been doing this a long time, and still learn something every print.
gary

Real Name
Ken St John
Here's a comparison of two prints .. on the left is Q1, on the right is Canon's Print Studio Pro. Same papers, same drivers, sent from the same Mac. As I mentioned, the one on the left may not be 100% "pure" B&W, but it's a lot better than the other one!! Again, on color images, I cannot tell a difference between the two!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom