Quack Quack Some tests of the 200-400VR lens

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Dec 8, 2005.

1. And now for your viewing pleasure.. A few test shots from the 200-400VR I shot with yesterday at the Wood Duck pond.. Unfortunately there were NO Mandarins to be found at the pond...

Forgot the lens was mounted n a Wimberley Sidekick.. Makes the lens feel feather light..

These were shot either nekidd( No Converter) or with a converter. Fill flash was also used.

On A Mission for some grub :biggrin:

Just hangin around:tongue:

Waiting for just one more photo and I ought to.... :Angry:

Splish Splash taking a bath :eek:

And Finally the other Conductor

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I like #1 - great color of the duck.

3. Thanks Ken...

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well DR,
    Watcha think of that lens.......

Beautiful images.

5. Well Gale,

I have to say first of all it is a BIG lens...Biggest lens I have ever used... I like the extra reach. I shot is both with and without the 1.4XTC yesterday. unfortunately, where I was ended up being a tad bit dark...So, was dealing with somewhat slow shutter speeds.. Which was a bit of a drag on moving ducks...

It focuses really fast compared to my older 300/f4 lens and kenko 1.4X TC...

Images appear quite sharp and contrasty when I nail the exposure and the shutter speed is not too slow on swimming ducks..
    I had it on a Wimberley sidekick and it feels quite featherweight and easy to use...

I will give it a more thorough test this coming weekend.. I think I will head down to the San Diego Wild Animal park Saturday for some shooting of ducks and other animmals down there...

6. Very nice work out for your lens Eric. My favorites image #3 and #5 although they are all very nice.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow faster that the 300 f4...
    Well I am impressed.

Well that is sure a nice lens. Wishing you many great images for sure.
    Thanks for the info.

8. Gale you must remember that the 300/f4 lens is the older version.. Not the AF-S version...

9. Thanks Gordon...

I hope to use it this coming weekend...

10. Nice shots, Eric! This lens has been nagging at me for a while, in opposition to the 500/f4. Not that it really matters cuz I don't have $4500 laying around anyway! :rolleyes:

11. Well, I have been wanting a longer lens for some time and now that older version of the 300/f4 was not cutting it lately...

12. May I ask what a "Wimberley sidekick" is?? Love the first duck. Gorgeous feathers!

I had it on a Wimberley sidekick and it feels quite featherweight and easy to use...

13. Well you can check out a wimberley sidekick at the following

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm

It basically is a device that you can put those bazooka lenses on and make it easier for you to use..

14. great first outing Eric. You will come to love what this lens can do for you.
    Dave
    by the way i am enjoying my stay in your fine area. I am just off the 405 in Irvine. Heading home tommrrrow

15. How long have you been out here? I could have taken a day off and gone shooting somewhere...

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

I think your pics are really bad. I would get rid of the lens ASAP. I can send you my mailing address. :biggrin:

Nice shots, you lucky dog. :rolleyes:

17. Humm, so my pics are really really bad and I wasted my money on the lens? :Shocked:

Well, you know if you give me your mailing address I can send you the lens ASAP.. Problem is you would have to pay shipping upfront at a rate of $5000..:eek: :eek: Then we would have a deal.. :biggrin: :biggrin:

18. Hey Flew, I can save the shipping for you! I will go by his house and pick it up.
    Be ready as I fly over tommorrow and I will drop it out of the plane when I see the dam.
    Dave

19. Nope sorry still have to have 5000 for insurance purposes...

20. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nope none of you guys get it till I get to use it :tongue: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Hey Dave Yeah why didn't PM or email me would of loved to hook up and take ya shooting, hope it's not something I said :wink: :frown: :biggrin: