Quackers

I went to duck pond with Frank yesterday evening. The lighting was great, much better than the overcast haze we've been getting at the dam. But the ducks didn't do too much.

I really like the lighting on this one
DSC_3037web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_3045web.jpg

I think this may be my first shot of a honker where I blacks weren't lost or the whites weren't blown
DSC_3098web.jpg

Bottoms up...
DSC_3141web.jpg

These next shots are pretty much 1:1 crops. But they're my first decent mallard flight shots, so I'm posting them anyway. And I like the timing of the first one
DSC_3088web.jpg

DSC_3116web.jpg

DSC_3118web.jpg

Hi Chris:

Nice series of images! Love the flight sequence of the mallard. That last shot is particularly nice and sharp. On the goose shot, did you spot meter and/or use any exposure compensation? It looks perfectly exposed and that's hard to do with black/white in sunlight not to mention reflection from the water :D

Nice series, Chris! Well done on the goose to capture the black without blowing the white. The mallard flight shots are all nice but the last one is my favorite of the bunch.

Nice series Chris. Those quackers are certainly tough to catch in flight. They are a continuing quest for me.

It's neat to have such a great place to shoot near where you live and work, huh?

PGB

You both looked like you were having fun when I drove through. I would have stopped but the 24 foot Ryder truck I was driving is difficult to parallel park. :)

Nice shots Chris. I still have trouble when the bird is flying straight on and getting a pic that doesn't come out soft. Like Frank, I too am on the quest for great flight shots.

Nice work!

Thanks for the comments. I like the last one best too, it just neede to be closer.

Lisa - the goose shot was done in manual mode. I just adjusted it using the highlights and histogram screen until I didn't get any blown highlights. The lighting was such that it allowed good exposure on the blacks too. Taken at about 6pm.

Great shots....looks like you are on the right track in your "quest for great flight shots"!!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom