Quackers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cknight, Aug 20, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I went to duck pond with Frank yesterday evening. The lighting was great, much better than the overcast haze we've been getting at the dam. But the ducks didn't do too much.

I really like the lighting on this one
    DSC_3037web.

DSC_3045web.

I think this may be my first shot of a honker where I blacks weren't lost or the whites weren't blown
    DSC_3098web.

Bottoms up...
    DSC_3141web.

These next shots are pretty much 1:1 crops. But they're my first decent mallard flight shots, so I'm posting them anyway. And I like the timing of the first one
    DSC_3088web.

DSC_3116web.

DSC_3118web.

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Chris:

Nice series of images! Love the flight sequence of the mallard. That last shot is particularly nice and sharp. On the goose shot, did you spot meter and/or use any exposure compensation? It looks perfectly exposed and that's hard to do with black/white in sunlight not to mention reflection from the water :D

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Chris! Well done on the goose to capture the black without blowing the white. The mallard flight shots are all nice but the last one is my favorite of the bunch.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Chris. Those quackers are certainly tough to catch in flight. They are a continuing quest for me.

It's neat to have such a great place to shoot near where you live and work, huh?

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    You both looked like you were having fun when I drove through. I would have stopped but the 24 foot Ryder truck I was driving is difficult to parallel park. :)

Nice shots Chris. I still have trouble when the bird is flying straight on and getting a pic that doesn't come out soft. Like Frank, I too am on the quest for great flight shots.

Nice work!

6. Nice job those ducks are fast flyers sure hard to get a good focus lok on them particually when coming right at you

7. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks for the comments. I like the last one best too, it just neede to be closer.

Lisa - the goose shot was done in manual mode. I just adjusted it using the highlights and histogram screen until I didn't get any blown highlights. The lighting was such that it allowed good exposure on the blacks too. Taken at about 6pm.

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots....looks like you are on the right track in your "quest for great flight shots"!!!