Quad core or dual core?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by shanelu87, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I was looking to build another computer in a couple weeks, and since Intel just had a nice 15-20% price cut on all their current line of processors, I was just wondering:

Is it better to get a 3.16ghz Core DUO or a 2.4ghz QUAD core? I will mostly be using the computer for casual gaming (nothing too hardcore like Crysis), and Photoshop CS3 as well as Capture NX.

Thanks.

2. Hi Shane, for a start, let me say thank you for choosing Intel, I think they offer the better range of processors, for a really good value.
    Depending on the price, if the Quad core isnt way too much more than the dual, id go for the quad, just because its sounds better, but your demand isnt too much, so the dual may be good enough.
    What model names have these processors your after got, (as in, Pentium D, 925, 4mb cahce) just out of curiosity, thanks, Tom.

3. I'm looking at the Q6600 and the E8500.

4. Look at a Q6600, and overclock it to 3GHz.

Very fast, and more and more software is multi-threaded nowadays so the extra cores give a little bit of future proofing.

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    just to add to this.. I recently built a quad Q6600 with 4GB,e tc... runs very well and the processor price was only $20 more than a dual... from all my research - the current gains with most software is minimal with Quad.. and I'm sure the next gen processor will be out well before most software takes advantage of Quad. But.. for $20, I figured what the heck. Overclocking this chip is easy given a good motherboard - but even if you don't, it still makes for a great system.

No complaints here! - Good Luck!

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I just picked up a Q6600 for $189, the kid at the store said "it will kill a daul core":eek: 

7. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Future Intel processors will mostly be quad core I believe... Invest in quad core now if you can, as that seems to be the future. I'm waiting for Nehalem with quad core and HT on each core (8 total threads). :) 

8. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    A number of applications that can take real advantage of more cores are becoming multi-threaded. Capture NX seems to put load on both my cores (Athlon X2 @ 2GHz) for instance. I'd say for the near future quad-core looks to be very comfortable, as long as the actual speeds are high and I'm pushing for the new workstations at work to be quadcores with 4GB and 64bit Xindows XP.

9. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
  10. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    NX2 uses 4 cores.

11. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    There will be multiple versions of Nehalem.
    To start with:
    Havendale (2 core, 2 memory ports)
    Lynnfield (4 core, 2 memory ports)
    Bloomfield (4 core, 3 memory ports)

Only Bloomfield will give you 3 memory ports, vs. the 2 ports of the other models. Graphics applications are severly limited by memory speed, so you might care about this difference here.

BTW, there will also be a 8-core Nehalem with improved hyperthreading (showing up as 16 cores in the OS)

Andy

12. My initial observations with NX2 is that it is not CPU bound. Something else is occupying it's time. I have a 3.2Ghz Quad (oc'd) and NX2 tickles the CPUs but still makes me wait forever for it to finish. Photoshop CS2 pushes all four cores to the limit on some adjustments.

13. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I just finished building my new pc with a Q9450 and it's flying through Photoshop. I'm sure the 8gb of RAM helps too. IMO Quad is the way to go if you're a photographer.

14. I've been searching for this type of information without luck. Could I please have your reference?

Thank you

Larry

15. john1970

john1970

Feb 10, 2008
    Boston MA
    I would go quad core as well. Too much CPU power is rarely a problem. In the near future I'm sure the vast majority of programs will be multithread.

Cheers,

John

16. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    On my PC. I'm running a MacPro with 8 Core's and Windows Vista SP1.

Assign from 1-8 CPU's to the task you want to check and observe the task manager showing a level off.

Andy

17. Thx.

Lary

18. When I run an Action on CS3, my laptop uses mostly ram - the CPU is only running at 9-15%

It seems like (as usual) RAM is the limiting factor

I find that most CPU's are more than most people need - it is the RAM that needs to be bumped up

19. I just finished building a new pc, Q6600 2.4 quad-core, 6 gigs of ram and a quadro fx video card
    (since I don't plan on doing any gaming) running on Vista Ultimate 64 bit version. Right now I can tell you that both CS3 and NX 2 fly,
    I see no waiting time at all, of course forgot to mention that I have a WD Raptor X drive as my main drive.

I also installed NX2 at work, which is a dual core pc and it just doesn't compare at all,
    it's like it was running on my old system at home.

So best bet would be to get a Quad-core and plenty of ram...

20. Frank207be

Frank207be

Mar 11, 2006
    Belgium
    I did the same this week. I built a new Vista 64Bit PC with the Intel Q9450, 8GB RAM, 300GB Velociraptor + 2X750GB data disks built into the Antec P182 and a solid Corsair PSU. I did an NX batch, ripped some CD's with EAC/Lame and didn't even notice that the virusscanner was running in the background :cool:  All 4 cores were used with NX :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.