Quad Motocross National, part 1

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Jul 26, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    The Power Sports ATV Tour came to town again. it's pretty cool having this 15 minutes from home. also nice that I get to watch it on ESPN 2 in a few weeks. I attended both days. had a few 8x10s of the top riders printed saturday night so I could get them autographed on Sunday. :biggrin:

In 'part 1', I'll start with some....starts. :wink:

D50 w/ 80-200 2.8
    most shots were 1/2500 f3.5
    except for the rare cloud cover shot, 1/1600

current series leader John Natalie holeshotting his sunday heat race;

DSC_7136copyW.

DSC_7137copyW.

DSC_7138copyW.

DSC_7139copyW.

a rare cloud passed over for just a moment. wished that there had been more. :wink:

DSC_6820copyW.

DSC_6796copyW.

DSC_6797copyW.

DSC_6798copyW.

John's wife, Michelle (second in standings in her class), holeshotting her race;

DSC_7013copyW.

DSC_7015copyW.

DSC_7017copyW.

I'm only showing these because Keith Little walked away from this crash. he got back on the bike and finshed the race. :biggrin:

DSC_6874copyW.

DSC_6875copyW.

Keith is on the right
    DSC_6879copyW.

I'll have more variety in part 2. :biggrin:

thanks for looking.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This looks like some pretty macho stuff to shoot Jim, I've always been a fan of flying dirt or flying water.

3. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Frank. the flying water took place during the Quad Terrain Challenge;

DSC_6704copy.

it's an obstacle course race for the utility style quads, featuring water, mud, boulders, logs, etc.

4. I don't know if Photobucket is having issues this morning but I've been waiting for more than 5 minutes to see your pictures and could only see the first 3 ones. And then... Boom !!! Thay all appeared at once :eek:

They look good though !!! You might want to slow your shutter speed a bit so that the wheel are less static and convey more speed and movement like here

3_D2H7677_JPM.

and here.

46B_D2H7783_JPM.

I can't wait to see part 2 ! Keep up the good work.

5. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    You've motivated me to try to shoot an event similar to this. I've pondered it for a while and these shots are just awesome. The neighbor kid next door races quads and I'm sure his parents would love some photos!

6. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Jim, great shots , nice action and colors
    Try mixing it up with some tighter crops, I like the feeling of the wider crops, but get a few more isolated
    Thanks for sharing

7. You gotta love the start pictures, it looks like the only way you'll get a "clean" shot of the racers! :) I like them, and good idea getting a print for autographs the next day, did they ask for a copy? I'm sure it turned out great looking too.
    You know this bright high sun you were shooting in turned out looking very nice with these subjects, way to go!

8. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Jean-Pierre . there will be some panning shots in part 2. :biggrin:

Thanks, Seth.

Thanks, Mark. the starts were intentionally shot a little wide, because you never know what can happen during a start. plus, since they were heading toward me, i had to start wide, so I wouldn't be too tight when they reached me.

Thanks, Steve. yes, that sun was challenging. I had two pics from John Natalie's saturday holeshot with me sunday morning. his mother came over when I was showing them to the mechanic. she smiled and said "are those for me?" I told her I had plans for these two prints, but I would gladly send her some, as well as some racing pics of her new daughter-in-law. she was very pleased. :biggrin:

9. Great action shots! They are sharp, the colors are nice and the head-on perspective is great! Nicely done!

10. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, David.