Quail

Discussion in 'Birds' started by senna, Jul 24, 2007.

1. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I have been having a tough time trying to get a good image of these fast and skittish birds.

D200 and 80-200 af-s exif intact

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Nice!! If that is poop on the fence on image #1, these birds spend a lot of time "hanging around" on both the upper and lower rail. Image #2 shows your focus. It is excellent!

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Thanks John. yes that is poop. their are dozens of Quail in this little farm/park area. This lens produces very nice images.

BTW I followed your trip to the Bay Area and SF Zoo did you get a chance to see the new Grizzly Gulch? I would like to get up there to check that out. If they did as nice job as they did on the Giraffe area it has to be cool.

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    You have mastered the 80-200! Images are outstanding.

We enjoyed Grizzly Gulch, but neither of us captured an image worth posting. The bears were hanging around the glass toward one end of their display. The glass was so smudged with fingerprints, the images were distorted.

The warthogs were really showing off! I will be posting a few warthog images soon. They were doing a mating ritual during our visit, where the female clicks loudly (sounds like a car engine missing on one cylinder). The male warthog tries to impress her. The male warthog at the SF zoo is extremely skilled at rolling a toy around the lot. He pushed it with his tusks, flipped it over his head, retrieved it every time it stuck between trees, while she clicked away. He is super athletic. A large crowd watched for over an hour.

The little puffer is great, and the petting zoo is the best, hands down, I have ever seen.

The SF Zoo is really investing in improvements for the animals. This is really a great zoo! My only advice: avoid Free Wednesday (the first Wednesday) because of the crowd, and dress warm for the morning.

5. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.

Thanks for the info John. And yes the SF Zoo continues to improve nicely.

6. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Very cool. I didn't realize their feet were so big.

7. Nice catch. These guys are very skittish!

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Hunter thanks for looking

9. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    David skittish x10 they very to get a decent photo of. :eek: