Quake Lake

Real Name
Bill
Earthquake Lake just outside of Yellowstone NP.

Earthquake Lake was created by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake in 1959 when a massive landslide blocked the Madison River.

Quake Lake BW.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's so interesting that those trees are still standing after all those years in the water. I haven't been there for a couple of years so it was fun to see your photo as a reminder of the area.

A remarkable scene, Bill!
Beautifully captured and processed!

Quake Lake was an annual stop for the dozen years or more, when I led a 2-week freshman field trip around the west. It always struck me as a serene and even spiritual place, especially in the early mornings or at dusk. The one time we hiked down to where I believe you were, was a cold and windy day, with very threatening clouds—anything but serene! Thanks for the memories.

Quake Lake was an annual stop for the dozen years or more, when I led a 2-week freshman field trip around the west. It always struck me as a serene and even spiritual place, especially in the early mornings or at dusk. The one time we hiked down to where I believe you were, was a cold and windy day, with very threatening clouds—anything but serene! Thanks for the memories.
I agree about it being a spiritual place. There were so many lives lost with the campground being covered by a rock slide. It feels like a cemetery to me.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Thanks for posting this great picture of a strange landscape.

The story of the lakes formation is quite dramatic, including the sad loss of life.

Real Name
Bill
Thanks Nick. I agree about the time of day. This was in the morning and you try to imagine what the morning after the quake was like.
Been by there many times Bill, super nice image.
Thanks Louie, lots of birds around the lake. Seems like you have the whole place to yourself once you hike down to it.
Thanks for posting this great picture of a strange landscape.

The story of the lakes formation is quite dramatic, including the sad loss of life.
Thanks. The story is quite dramatic. The film at the visitor center is interesting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom