Quality control on lenses?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sunesha, May 7, 2007.

1. No, never. All my lenses has been good at.

28 vote(s)
    93.3%
  2. Yes, I have exchanged a Nikkor lens once.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Yes, I have exchanged a multiple Nikkor lenses.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, I have exchanged a thirdparty lens once.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Yes, I have exchanged a multiple third lenses.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Is it very common that lenses have defects, like sharpness issues and other stuff you read on internet forums and reviews. The reason I worry about it, is because I thinking about buy some lenses in the states when I am there on vacation. Especially now when dollar is very low compared to the swedish currency.

I get that impression when some guys "state" on the forums they have exchanged some lens model 3 times before a good copy turned up. Which makes me believe they write this to show their unsatisfied feeling with some products.

Should just lay low and let the money pile up and buy at local dealer so I can be sure that I dont bump into any problems.

2. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Also please stay friendly, my point of the thread is just to make up if shall take the chance to buy a lens. Thats why I made the poll this way not just the people having problems will get the most focus. So please even if you dont answer just click the no problem option.

As I start get the feeling that internet has scared me a bit to much,

Thanks in advance

Dearest regards,
    daniel

3. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I used to sell top of the line audio recording equipment. Because we had many delivery damages, also when someone pays around 40-60 k dollar for equipment and stuff doesnt work on delivery. We equiped all our packages with a g-force protection indicator, which colors a small plastic thing red when it had taken to much force that could damage it. I got the idea from a annother product we sold that had high end computers made for film audio postproduction and music studio network.

That way the client could just say no and phone us for new stuff and we send them new equipment. Then checked the stuff if it survived the bumps. Also a bi-effect of this indicator made that we didnt have any stuff damaged at all for a year. Which UPS used to break at least 5-6 units per year.

I think all packages most be able to take some beatings. I worked with logistic when I was younger to move 2000 boxes per day, you arnt that careful because you doesnt just take your time. We always threw the packages into bigger containers when they went out for delivery.

The only package we where careful with was those that was marked with very visible labels.

Cheers,
    Daniel

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    When I can't find the hammer to fix the TV with, I usually grab my F5.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, I voted 'exchanged a third party lens once'. I'm not sure it was for a fault, or the lens just wasn't that good to begin with, but I bought a Tamron 28-200 to shoot outdoor events with. Unfortunately it had a strange halo issue until f/11. I shot one event (a wedding party) then took it back to the store. I traded it for a 24-120vr Nikkor, a lens that really grew on me, and has served very well in it's intended use. Now it's a permanent resident on my N80 film camera.

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    my 70-200mm VR drives my bodies crazy when i use a TC. i have yet to send it in though.

other than that, all my lenses have met my quality requirements :wink:

ricky

7. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Thanks alot all,

I feel a bit less worried. Just got some neurotic thoughts with buying a faulty lens. Then have to hard time to get it serviced in sweden. Even if we now have EU laws that state that a brand most take responsibility for it s product whatever it is bought.

Thou this is just valid for stuff bought inside EU. But from my experience some companies doesnt even make service even if you pay yourself.

Cheers,
    Daniel

8. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    The only lens I ever had to exchange was a 28-70mm that would not AF past about 50 feet. But it was a used lens, so I just sent it back and bought a new one.

-- Russ