1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Quality control problems - 14-24 f2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fishbio, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hi All

On my way to the Canadian Rockies a couple of weeks ago I picked up a 14-24 f2.8. I was looking forward to some mountain landscapes, sharp from corner to corner.

Here's an example of what I got with tripod, MLU and remote release at f6.3. 100% crop at focal point (AF), vertically centered, off center horizontally, in camera sharpening normal, no PP apart from resolution reduction and conversion to jpg with NX2.

2846690749_f11ca9c181_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    14mm    f/6.3    1/160s    ISO 100

and here's a shot from the same camera position with a Tokina 12-24 f4 at 14mm, same settings and conditions.

2846690665_2c509352f9_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    14mm    f/6.3    1/200s    ISO 100

I was disappointed to say the least and took the lens back to the store at the end of my trip. It was confirmed that the lens was not up to snuff and I was offered the only other copy they had. We tried it out on a D700 and it gave similar results. I was told that they have had increasing numbers of defective lenses since the D3, D300 and D700 came out. They speculated that the demand for good lenses to go with the new cameras had resulted in shortages and that Nikon was getting slack with QC. I'm now waiting for a good copy.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Cheers,

Larry

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Larry,

Clearly, there is something seriously wrong in that first image. The lens is not focusing properly with the camera. It appears to be so far off that AF Fine Tuning would be of little help.

Glenn

3. wow.... it`s a good thing you brought both wide zooms with you..

4. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    No my copy is sharp. much sharper than a nice copy of a 12-24 I had. Much sharper

5. 100% crop of what ? where's the full scene ?

6. Thanks for commenting, guys.

I guess 100% crop is not the right terminology. I should have said a crop from images displayed at full size at 300ppi resolution. Not that it's relevant to my problem, here's the full image using the Tokina with a bit of saturation and contrast increase and sharpening.

Cheers,

Larry

Cirque C near Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

2847647395_7e5cd0c536_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    12mm    f/6.3    1/180s    ISO 100

7. Man o man - did the photo look sharp when looking thru the finder? My copy of the 14-24 is amazing sharp, this is a surprise. Get a replacement lens, but don't give up on the amazing 14-24.

8. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Why not check the sharpness from top to bottom which should rule out focus errors. Also was the Tokina photo on the same body? A DX sensor will give you a bit more than 1 stop extra depth of field. F6.3 is not that small an aperture.

I quite like that picture. It is a rather barren place and the name is apt.

9. Thanks, Charlie, I expected a lot better, given the reviews I've read.

Leif: These were both taken with a D200 within a minute or so of one another. The 14-24 shot is consistently fuzzy from edge to edge and corner to corner: The Tokina is as sharp as expected all over. I tried manual focus on the 14-24. It appeared to be focusing past infinity when on AF but I couldn't get the picture sharp. On shots at a distance of about 10m or less it wasn't as bad but it didn't have the razor sharpness this lens is known for.

Cheers,

Larry

10. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with the lens. Even wide open it should have sharp regions.

11. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Yes, unless there's a focus error that focuses beyond infinity. I guess that'd be straightforward enough to rule out by manually focusing somewhere that's obviously nowhere near infinity.

12. Infortunately with this lens the focus ring turns very little to go from <1' to infinity. Even manually focusing on the same scene didn't produce sharp results.

I posted some closer shots in plains, trains and automobiles here:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=188140 I don't think that they are particularly sharp even after sharpening in PP.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.