Quality FX lens options for Hiking?

Real Name
David
If you are OK with stitching a panorama, I would skip the ultra-wide and instead stitch a few shots from the wide end of your standard lens. That will save you a few/lot of ounces, and space in your pack.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the current software stitches images, compared to what I used before.
That's kind of why I suggested the 9mm Body Cap Lens, it's 1.1oz and literally the size of a thick body cap. Is it anywhere near as good as a dedicated wide? No, but you can find them for $75-$80 so why not?

I have photographed Chief Mountain a few times but never hiked it, sounds like a great experience for you. My hiking treks into Glacier was the D700 and 24-70 2.8 but now it’s the D750 and the 24-120 F4 which is lighter and offers a little more reach.

This was a challenging hike/climb. With only two months of training after my new hip, I was probably not fit enough to carry the weight I did. The last mile was especially challenging. It involved what they define as scree. Not sure of the spelling but imagine hiking up a 30 to 35 grade of a sand dune for 3/4 of a mile. Two steps up, 1 and a half steps sliding down. Exhausting to say the least. My camera was bouncing around too much so much of the time it was in my pack.

The experience and memories are the pictures bored in my brain I will treasure and I only took a handful with my D850 and 24-70 2.8. Even at that, there was snow at the summit and my hands were frozen while we stood on a small platform with death on all sides. What a trip, what a special experience with great friends. A number were taken with my camera but not by me since I wanted to be with my hiking buddies.
Chief_Mt_3876_72pi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Chief_Mt_3882_72pi.jpg

I am on the right in black with the silly hat.
Chief_Mt_3889_72pi.jpg

Chief_Mt_3904_72pi.jpg

I am on the left on the summit.

Chief_Mt_3906_72pi.jpg
Chief_Mt_3908_72pi.jpg
ChieMt_3931_72pi.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back down to earth! Yeah, a trip full on amazing memories and accomplishments. Going up scree is so much easier, and way less scarier, than coming down a scree slope.
Cheers.

Coming down was kind of fun. What took at least 45 minutes for me to go up only took a few minutes to get down. Just dig in your heels and take steps, almost like skiing, unless you fall which for my luck I didn't. I just followed the lead of our guide and somehow was able to mimic his technique. It was a bit scary though having never done it before and I did feel it in my hip.

Real Name
Ken
Frankly, my iPhone. This was not a hike/climb focused on photography, it was about the brother-ship and experience.
Thanks for the reply. My understanding from your OP was that you wanted something with similar quality to your D850. I would have thought that you might have landed on something more in the middle, like a 1" or m4/3rd's camera. In either event, I am glad your trip worked out for you.

Congratulations,

--Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
When I had a D750, my hiking/walkabout was the 24-120. I rarely found I needed anything else. Nowadays I’m using a 24-70 and it’s almost as good, but I do miss the extra reach of the -120 at times. However, since My 24-70 f4 has a macro function, that capability to capture some details has been a lot of fun.

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom