Quality of adapter?

I was wondering if there have been comparisons on IQ if one used say - a 16-25, a 24-120, and perhaps a 70-200 on a D850 and then on a Z7 with the adapter. I know the IQ of the two cameras is very similar, bu tdoes the IQ suffer at all with the adapter? (I do know that perhaps focus is bettr on a static subject if the lens needed to be fined tuned to the D850 but was not.)

The adaptor has no glass, designed only to add the correct flange distance to the mount. The light falling on the sensor will be identical.

Since the focus sensors are on the sensor, no focus calibration should be necessary (the sensor knows when it is in focus).

No issues for me using the 16-35/4 or 70-200/4 on a Z7 with the FTZ, the 50/1.8g also provides great IQ fine as do old MF lenses. To be honest I think that forums would be filled with comments if IQ was worse with the FTZ.

I only use adapted lenses with my Z6...all of them have more consistent focus and sharpness than on the D750...

I've used the 85 1.8g, 70-200 f4, 60 f2.8g, 70-300 FX all without issue. My impression is that, if anything, they perform better on the Z's which I suspect has to do with both the effective VR/IBIS and on-chip AF (so no calibration issues a particularly thorny problem with zooms).

Finally tried it with my Tamron 90mm macro. It's the newest version. No joy on the adapter. Zero functionality.
I tried the same combo last week at our cabin. For me, it worked sometimes. Cycling between the info screen or the LV screen and the EVF a couple of times seemed to "wake up" the lens and then the image in the EVF was correct. AF was wonky in that I needed to manually focus first and then the AF would work. Without the MF step, AF would hunt continuously or simply not work. In any case, this lens is not really usable via the adapter.

Z7 - FTZ: I’ve used 16-35/4, 70-200/2.8 and 50/1.4 all perfect, sharp, AF responsive and aperture control correct and as expected. I’ve used 80-400/4 which has no AF on the FTZ, but aperture control is good. I’ve also used Voigtlander (leica M) lenses with the Kipon adaptor 12/5.6 and 35/1.4 - fully manual, iris and focus. Stick to Nikkor AF-S lenses and you’ve got the same control as native Nikkor S lenses. Anything else and you need to apply some old fashioned photography skills

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom