Quantum Turbo 2x2 and MKZ3

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Francis247, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Francis247

Francis247 Guest

Hi All,

I like to ask if it is possible to power up the Nikon SB800 by MKZ3 and Quantum 2x2.

From what I understand, the MKZ3 is designed for Quantum Battery 1+ series and the connection is via RCA.

For the Quantum 2x2, the connection is via DIN and the cable usable is the CKE.

Just a thought because I got a Quantum 2x2 and CKE cable, but the set back is that I still need 4 AA size batteries for my SB800 in order to use it.

Please share your thought on this. Thank you very much.

2. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I don't think you need the 4 AA batteries if you use the CKE cable with the Quantum 2x2. CKE cable provide high voltage to the flash and the MKZ3 cable provide low voltage to the flash much like the 4 AA batteries do.

I prefer the low voltage because I don't need quick flash recycle time. If you want fast or instant flash recycle time, then high voltage is the only way to go. Downside on that is if you shot too fast with the flash and no rest time, you can melt the strobe. In addition, the battery inside the Quantum 2x2 is fairly expensive to replace when the battery die. It does not last forever.

Here is my flash/battery set up with the MKZ3 cable and a battery pack that was made by some one I found from Florida. It has a 6 Volt seal lead acid battery inside. Very cheap to replace if the battery die. It even came with a charger. I plan to sent my cable to modify so it would use the 4 pins DIN plug instead. It provide a more sturdy connection.
    [​IMG]

3. Francis247

Francis247 Guest

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I did a test and found that apparently 4AA size batteries are still needed in the SB800 in order for the CKE to transmit power into it.

Any other idea if using the MKZ3 on a Quantum 2x2 is possible? Thanks in advance.

4. The Turbo cables manual does not list the SB-800 so I don't know the story at all. It is full of warnings about using your own cable etc etc.

The Nikon flashes it does list do need the AAs (this is flash specific, not quantum specific per se). The manual says that they only power the computer circuitry - in other words, a decent set of rechargeables should last for quite a while.

I would not risk it personally.

The MKZ3 is for a different range of Quantum stuff. The Quantum manual says use *only* Turbo cables.

5. I use a Quantum Turbo Compact with with the CCKE cable to power my SB800. You still need the AA batteries in the flash to work the flash electronics.
    The Turbo compact can be attached to the camera at the tripod mount hole with the flash on camera or you can use an umbrella mount (this is my homemade, lightweight version) as a portable flash using the CLS to operate the flash. I use an AS-10 (used from KEH) to mount the flash to the umbrella mount. The cable plugs into the front of the flash near the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Note, I just now took this photo of this set-up to illustrate the concept.

Take care.
    Donald