Queen of the Snow

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by nfoto, Nov 30, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I've received my 200-400 mm f/4 Nikkor (AIS) a few days ago, and have been putting it through its paces. Would you believe this lens had been sitting idly on a shelf for 20 odd years? What a pity. To my eyes, it was in a pristine condition. Now of course it will be a working tool for me, so those innocent days will soon be gone :smile:

It was quite cold today, around -15 C, and I found that I may have to clean the lens to remove the old lubricants, because 20 years of inactivity has made the focusing action rather stiff. Otherwise, the 200-400 performed to expectations.

Below, my new acquisition put to some real work.

3917927-lg.

The white stuff all around is snow, and the yellow contraption on top of the lens is my GPS unit. I shot a lot of snow landscapes today in a remote area outside Oslo, so having GPS to find my shooting locations afterwards is indispensable when I write image captions later. The D2X of course records GPS data in the EXIF header, so using GPS with this camera is a breeze.

2. HHHMMM - I'm curious why you choose the AI-S version Vs the new AF-S version?

BTW can this lens be upgraded with a CPU chip?

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The reasons are (1) better tripod mount, (2) less colour fringing for landscape work, (3) higher image contrast (15 elements vs 24 for the AFS).

If I had been into birding and suchlike activities I would probably had opted for the AFS instead, but these areas are not my preferred fields of nature photography.

It's easy to upgrade the lens with a CPU, but since I'm going to use it mainly for the D2X, I probably won't bother with the modification. The EXIF data recorded by D2X is sufficient to allow my lens signature analysis module to identify the lens and record it in the data base automatically.

4. So I take it the results are good with the D2X?

5. The photo of the photography tool is art in itself.

It's a cool place when a legend posts here freely and regularly :)

6. It looks like a beauty, Bjorn! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures from it.

I browsed through your website, but couldn't find a review for the 200-400/4 AIS. Hopefully, you'll add one after you've worked with the lens for a while.

7. Beauty of a lens Bjorn. What a find indeed. I too am looking forward to what you would have to say about this lens when you put it through its paces.

God Bless,
    David

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Thank you for the shot - looks formidable, you could do serious damage to yourself just dropping it. All your fans (including me) look forward first to a sample picture or two and second to a typical straight Bjorn review.