Quest for the right Epson Photoprinter...

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by misupix, May 6, 2007.

1. My trusty Epson Stylus Photo 950 seized to work properly (I guess repair won't be reasonable + the Ink costs are killing me)

I plan on buying a HP Color Laserjet 1600 (€200) for text and documents.

For printing a occasional Color Photo print, to hang on the wall or give away to friends. Haven't done any HQ B&W prints so far.
    So I need something in similar quality like the Stylus Photo 950....

Currently I'm looking into:

Epson R800 for €290 (there might be a successor soon?)
    (Ultra K3 Ink System)

or

Epson R265 for €90
    (Claria Ink system, like R360)

The question is this:

For my Amateur needs, is the R800s Print quality this much superior to the R265? The R800 (on sale) is still 3 times the price of the R265!

Or maybe try a R265 now and if not happy get the R800 successor?​

2. I have the R380, which has the Claria Ink system, and I am very satisfied with the results. Depends on what you want to spend. I am looking at the R1800 for larger prints.

all the best
    Nancy

3. Hi Michael !

I've been using an Epson Stylus Photo 870 for more than a year, then i felt like printing BIGGER... i bought an Epson Stylus Photo 2100, wich allows me to print A3+ (32.9 x 48.3 mm.) or A3 paper-roll, and now, i won't look back ! The A4 seems so small...

...of course, the 2100 also eats (drinks ?) ink at such a speed that it makes a print quite costly but well... All in all, i'm very happy with the overall quality of the Esons i had !

Cheers,
    J-P.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'd go with the R800, I've heard the Claria inks have had some problems, mostly they seem to be more prone to clogging.

5. jcovert

jcovert Guest

I wanted to add that for your Color Laser, you should really check out the OkiData line...yeah I know the name is suspect, but I *could not* be happier with this printer!! I bought the C5400n (i think) which included PS Level 3, and works brilliantly with my Mac. The ink costs are the same as HP, but the quality of the prints I think smokes the HP lines in the <$3500 range. (and the Oki runs $1000ish)

I use the expensive 'magazine-like' color paper, and you would have *extremely* hard time telling it was not done on a press. It is really THAT good imho. For short-run advertising needs it is a dream come true for me, and I'm amazed that technology has achieved this for home printing at this speed.