Question about 300 2.8VR

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Kim, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    Just received my 300 2.8VR from BH on Friday. Took it out today to play with it and found out I can't get it to focus correctly at times. I'm using it on a D70. Its set to M/A, FULL, Normal VR, AF-ON. The D70 has a full battery. When I focus on something close and then try to focus on something at a distance its just a big blur. Samething, when I first focus on something at a distance, then trying to focus on something close results in a blur. This applys to both hand held and on a tripod. I am pushing the shutter release button half way down and if it won't focus I quit pushing and then try again. Blur! BTW, this doesn't happen all the time. There are times that the focus between two points is very quick. I also have the 70-200VR and haven't had this problem with it. Please, someone tell me what I am doing wrong! Any ideas?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kim :

I don't have that lens, but I have several other AFS/VR lenses, and what's happening may parallel some cases I've had.

Try using the focus limiting switch and resetting the focus distance to the 3m-Infinity (can't get the forum SW to let me display that symbol), shoot, reset to Full, shoot, and reset...

Occasionally, for reasons I can't fathom, these AFS/VR lenses get a little confused, especially if they've been put on the camera with the body "on", and they don't focus as expected. As well, the switch might be giving a bad contact, but could reseat and give a good contact.

I hope that this helps. Please let us know how all of this works out.

John P.

P.S. I don't know if it's in fact a 3m distance on the focus limit switch, so let me know if I was right (I saw sometime back that the minimum focusing distance was about 2.2m). The focus limit switch is 2.5m- infinity on my 70-200mm lens.

4. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    John P,

The focus limiting switch is infinity to 6m(19.7 ft). Never had to change it on my 70-200 but I will give it a try on the 300. Thanks! Will let you know if that makes a defference.

kim

5. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    Paul,

Looking forward hearing how your test goes. Thanks!

kim

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kim :

I've had this happen on my 200-400mm AFS/VR. I have not the slightest way to discern if it was a random occurrence or my "fix" really worked. I guess that's something for better minds than mine... :Smart:

John P.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    Paul,

Thanks for the test. Did your lens have any trouble focusing on either shot, or was it a smooth transition between the two distances? My lens seems to "lock" and will not focus. I was taking pictures yesterday across a small lake and when a GBH landed not far from me, maybe 30-35 ft., my lens was completely unable to focus on it. I never got a picture of him. I'm heading out now with the D70 and 300 VR and hope to get better results than yesterday. Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
  9. marc

marc Guest

try taking the lens off, turn off camera and put lens back on carefully

you must be sure lens is seated and locked, otherwise pins will not fully contact

sometimes you may carelessly mount lens, or push lens lock by mistake.

this is what happens to me on occasion, just be sure lens is locked

marc

nikon, also recommends, turn off camera when mounting lens, then turn camera on

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    This happened to me once with my 200-400Vr when the contacts got dirty. A quick swipe with a clean rag to wipe off grime and I was good to go.

I was a bit nervous at first though, thought something happened to the lens.

Wade

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005