Question about 85mm AF F1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by chinesestunna, Jul 3, 2007.

1. I'm inspecting a copy of the lens locally - haven't gotten a chance to do it tonight yet, but currently just checking the mechanics of the lens it's making a semi loud grinding sound (of the AF screw turning) when I rotate the focusing ring without a camera attached. This isn't normal right?
    From the AF lenses I've had from Nikon the little screw will spin but it's pretty silent when MF is being used.

Let me know your thoughts!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My 85 f/1.8 makes more noise than any of my other AF lenses. It works flawlessly though.

3. Chris - thanks for the feedback, so I guess it is normal that it's really loud during MF?

4. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    No, I would think that isn't normal. I have a 85mm f1.8 that I bought new a couple of months ago. It doesn't make the noise that you speak of.

docshank

5. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    My 85 mm f1.8 is also loud when turning the focus ring

6. So the question is do you have the "D" version or the non-D version?

7. Thanks for all the feedback guys! keep 'em coming ;)

8. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    My 85mm is an AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D. I believe the question was should the lens make a grinding sound while rotating the focusing ring when the lens is not attached to a camera body. I have the 50mm f1.4 AF-D, the 35-70 f2.8 AF-D, the 85mm f1.8 AF-D, the 180mm f2.8 AF-D, and the 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D, and none of those lenses make a grinding sound while rotating the focusing ring when the lens isn't attached to a camera body. Even with any of these lenses attached to my D70s, they don't make a grinding sound while rotating the focusing ring if I have the A/M lever set to manual (which disengages the screw drive). Hope this helps.

docshank

9. I think it's a crap shoot at this point - I just tried my Nikons, some makes it some don't. Some are loud, some are soft...

Thanks everybody!

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I'm late to join , but mine also makes this weird noise , but I can't even hear it when the D2H blasts away anyway :biggrin:

11. LOL, I can't hear anything else but the angel song of D2h's shutter when Continuous High is selected.