1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question about a gray market Nikon 850

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Catz, Oct 12, 2018.

1. What is a gray market version mean?

I found one for 2799.00 for a gray market version from Abes of Maine. The guy told me it's a gray market because I asked him. But I don't know what that means. Is it still made by Nikon and will Nikon fix it after the one year warranty is up from Abes of Maine?

Thank you.

2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Not produced for your country, Melissa.
    An European camera can be cheaper than an American or the other way around.
    I don't know if there is guarantee on the camera if you buy it...
    European Nikons have a guarantee card from the Netherlands.

Regards
    Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  3. Klaus

I've always found it to be one-way traffic, with the same model much cheaper in the US. There could be many factors but the one obvious one is state taxes of around 7 to 10% in the US compared to VAT of around 20% in Europe.

I have no idea how or why Nikon can justify the regional restrictions on its warranties however, as they are all the same products from the same production line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    It would be easy for Nikon to offer a worldwide guarantee. I don't know why they do it
    Imagine, I would live in the US for some time and buy a camera. Then I move back to Germany. What will happen to the guarantee?

Regards
    Klaus

5. my guess is longer warranties. Does Nikon give a 5 year warranty on lenses everywhere ?

6. Nikon will not service your grey market camera here in the US. I would not buy a grey market D850 and would also avoid Abe's of Maine. Just wait until you get a call after you place your order telling you that you need to pay extra for a battery and cables that should all be included in the box.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Nikon USA will not fix it if something goes wrong.

Gray market would not carry a USA warranty. They would not even supply parts to a gray market camera even if a shop said they would repair it. Believe that in most cases you would have to send it back to point of purchase and then they might get it fixed by sending overseas. Recently on FM was a individual trying to get a grey market D750 shutter repaired. He had had it fixed once under a recall but the 2nd time found it very difficult. Nikon finally agreed as a goodwill but only because of previous recall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nikon USA pays for things like logistics, support, service, and marketing. A grey market camera is not a Nikon USA camera, and contributed no revenue to support those services... hence they will not be available.

9. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    My answer comes in three parts.
    1. Stay away from Abe's of Maine. They are bait & switch artists.
    2. Stay away from grey market equipment. Nobody will repair it in the USA.
    3. I spend my photo money at Amazon, Adorama, or B&H. We had a local camera store that I've delt with but the owner retired and closed the store.

10. I bought something from Abe's several years ago, I forget what now. I had heard of their up-sell antics so I wrote into the comments area of my online purchase that they should not call me with further offers. They did not, the product was delivered as ordered and the price was very good. It was not a gray-market item.

They may be different now.

11. That sort of tactic may be the way to go to try and prevent the upsell calls.

12. I prefer to just stick with more reputable vendors now.

13. I’ve read they were a decent dealer sometime in the past, after the move to NJ when ownership changed and the bait and switch tactics came into play. Here is an article from NBC that uses their tactics as an example when shopping for a tv.
    How to avoid online HDTV shopping scams - NBC News

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  14. Thank you everyone. Good information here that made me decide to not buy from that company and not a gray market.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Hi Randy,
    yes, Nikon Europe give a 5-year-warrenty for lenses too.

I think Nikon builds cameras and lenses without any differences to any market (except the plug of the power cord).

Regards
    Klaus

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AndreasH

AndreasH

Aug 21, 2018
    Not everywhere. I know they do in Germany but know they do not in Scandinavia, Finland and in The UK.

Nikon do make two versions of the camera bodies. One for Japan that only supports Japanese and English menus and the international version with multiple languages.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. It is my understanding (T. Hogan article) that all Nikon Cameras have a one year international warranty, however you must ship to Japan to take advantage of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.