Question about a Nikon Film Camera...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shadow, Dec 23, 2005.

1. My Girlfriends Father last night pulled out an Older Nikon FG film camera. Along with it are a 50mm f1.4 AI type lens and a Rokinon 75-240mm f4-5.6 Manual focus (push pull type) zoom, plus a teleconverter and an external flash of some sort.

I can't tell if the camera is in working order or not, as I've never fiddled with a film SLR. I looked through the viewfinder and it was dark which was a concern. He hasn't used this camera in years and I don't know how to tell if it is in good working order or not.

I saw one listed on BH photo's used list (graded a 9)for about $200. Adorama had them on the used list for about $120 and a little lower for the one's they listed. The 50mm appears to be pristine, and have seen it listed from $90 to $150 depending on the place where you purchase. The Rokinon probably would fetch $20 at most. I don't have any data on the flash.

My questions are these...

How can I tell if this is a decent camera in good working order? What are some things I need to know? (I would go out and buy a roll of film if that is what it will take).

ALSO....Do you think those values I have listed above are reasonable or should he expect less for anything if he were to sell it. (I'm seriously considering buying the 50mm from him for my own use as I can use it on my D50.)

Thanks.

2. I suspect the FG won't fetch a lot - maybe $100 - 150. I have a pristine FM and just hang on to it - not worth selling. I also think the Rokinon, and the flash will bring next to nothing. If the TC, if is a Nikon, maybe a few bucks. If not, again, next to nothing.
    Buuttt: whatever you do, GET the Ai 50 f/1.4!!

Some of my recent posts on it, which have further links embedded: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=58621

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Neal :

Wow, I haven't seen an FG since the '80s.

Not a bad camera, as I recall, perhaps not as far up the quality curve as some other Nikons, but a Nikon, nonetheless.

As for the dark viewfinder, it's possible that the prism/mirror arrangement is jammed up in the body. If you place a new battery in the body, it might "unjam" and allow for action. If memory serves me, there was a completely "dead battery" manual speed of 1/60 or 1/90s that you could use. You can see the position of the mirror when you remove the lens from the body.

You should be able to bring it into a reputable camera dealer and ask them if they can quickly resuscitate it, and then, if not, what they think is incorrect. In most cases, a decent store would test the body with a battery for you, saving that expense.

John P.

4. Actuate the lever wind - this should cock the shutter and get the mirror back into the right position, then press the shutter release which should fire the shutter at 1/90 sec, the mirror should flap up and down. Try this with the back open and you should see a (1/90sec) flash of the scene infront of camera if you loook at the back of the shutter. If it does not work doing this its probably bust and not really worth repairing.:mad: