Question about AF/MF on 85/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sclamb, Apr 27, 2007.

1. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    I noticed whilst playing with the 85/1.4 that if I turn the focus ring when the lens is in A mode there is a click and then the focus ring locks and won't move. I have to move the lens switch to M so that the ring will rotate again.

Is the lens designed to do this and does it damage the lens if the focus ring locks like that? I find that I am gripping around the focus ring when holding the lens and sometimes it accidentally moves a bit and then locks.

Thanks.

2. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I know some people leave the M/A ring in the middle, but I use mine locked in either M or A so it does not do what you are describing.

Or are you describing the fact that this is not a lens that has the ability to manual override the focus when in autofocus like the 17-55, 105 ,etc?

3. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    As far as I can see. if I try and use the manual focus ring when the lens is in AF, it locks and won't move (as I said, I actually moved the focus ring accidentally which is when I noticed that it then locks solid). Just wondering if this is normal behaviour. The lens still autofocuses OK, just that the focus ring locks solid and only moves when the M/A switch is moved to the manual position.

I guess the summary is that this lens does not allow manual focus when the switch is in the A position, and in fact the focus ring locks solid rather than freely rotating. Just wondering if that is normal behaviour.

4. My guess is that the mechanical link between the lens and the camera can't disengage the way the lenses with the SW focusing motor built in can.

5. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Woody

Does your 85/1.4 do the same thing?

6. This is normal for the older type (gear driven) AF lenses. The newer AF-S lenses, without gear drive) can be used in MF override, even when in AF mode. It is a mechanical thing.

7. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks Frits. Am I correct in assuming that if I do accidentally move the focus ring when the lens is in AF mode that it will do no harm and I can continue to use it?

I have started moving the A/M switch to manual to release the focus ring and then switching back to A mode, but I will stop if I am not harming the lens in any way.

8. Mine doesn't click, it just won't move.

9. Won't harm it in any way. The gears will just "catch" again when you go back to AF mode - no issue.

10. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Mine moves about 1/4 inch before it locks up. I will now stop worrying and use it :rolleyes:

Thanks.

11. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks again Frits. Time to take some pics :biggrin:

12. Don't worry, mine does the same thing. It moves a bit on A and then locks and you can't move it. :wink:

13. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Great, thanks for taking the time to confirm that :smile: