Question About Beanie Babies...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seneca, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok for those of you who have kids who collect things...are Beanie Babies still popular, or is that a fad that is out the door?

My step-son is a landlord and one of his tenants left a house with several boxes of things behind. When my step-son tried to contact him at work the guy said "Do whatever you want with that stuff and leave me alone".

Well my step-son gave my son's girlfriend the box of beanie babies...however she doesn't want them.

Ok so I'm left with about 30 of these little bear things. What would you do?

2. I don't think they are that popular with the kids anymore. But, I can guarantee that there are still adult collectors out there who are interested. I would put them on e-bay and see what happens!

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I don't think they're worth much these days, but you never know. They may become popular again. But you can always donate them. :smile:

4. Last I heard the blue elephant, with original TY tag, was selling over $1000.00 to some avid collectors... Now, where are those pachyderms?

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    They all have the TY attached to the ears and a plastic cover to protect the tag is also attached.

Hummm ok...I'll do some research.

Thanks everyone.

6. I'd personally be keeping 'em out in the garage.......are you sure they're free of bugs?? I'd recommend washing in "hot," but if you're trying to market as collectable, that won't do.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Oh yes...each beanie was in it's own ziplock bag. Yes I even did the smell test. My husband tells me I smell everything. Ok so I do...and there was no smell. They are in great condition. Someone took really good care of these bear things. Other things left behind...ready for this... a VIKING STOVE!!!:eek:

http://www.us-appliance.com/vgvi30gasseb.html (like this one)

8. Do a search on ebay for completed auctions for Beanies. My daughter had a vast collection years ago when they were really hot. I was surprised at how little interest there was a couple of years back. I haven't checked recently but they still sit in a bin waiting their eventual fate. :)

9. pward76

pward76

Apr 6, 2008
    iowa
  10. I have a large garbage bag full of them at my parents house - all with their tags and all in great condition too

that's probably where they'll stay too....

11. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
  12. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    My mom had thousands of them and has been selling them off on ebay. They don't sell for much these days

13. If I had sold my two daughters (hmm that's a thought in itself) beanies when I wanted to my best realistic guess was in the thousands. Back then they had all kinds that were routinely going for $50.00 a crack and up.

Now I have boxes of em along with a mayflower van full of other stuff of theirs in the garage attic. May check those sites myself cause some may be still rare

glenn

wish I had all my comics and bball cards from early 50's my parents were so eager to throw away......

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  14. Boys will be boys.

Our, now 21 y/o, hunter-gatherer son............

When he was about 10.......

He took about 20 of his mom's/my wife's favorite beanie babies.
    He placed them all over our back yard.
    He shot them with his Beeman pellet rifle.
    He "field dressed" all of them.
    They hung, splayed viscera, from the fence.
    "Gutted", all their little beads, collected in her crystal gravy tourine.

Mom was livid.
    My hysterical chortles did little to cool her fury.

He's now a near straight-A pre-med college student. Surgeon-to-be maybe.
    He just bought a powerful spear-gun to kill something in Port Aransas this weekend.

Boys will be boys.

Trav, at 17.
    30943828.jpg

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OMGOSH how horrible, but funny

16. Strange thing with TY`s. In Holland they are almost unknown.I have 12 different Ty`s from my good friend in Wisconsin.Five eagles remembering 9/11.Op Desertstorm etc.Plus bears from September (my month of birth) Most bears are birthday or party bears.
    I once took them to a bearshow to decorate my sisters bear stand.we had people who sed they didn`t want them for free,and people by who you could see a flash of "i want that" in there eyes. Sorry for them..they are not for sale.

17. violation

violation

Jul 22, 2008
    USA
    i've found dogs love them :D

18. No.
    Not horrible.
    Those beanie babies shot by my hunter/gatherer 10 y/o brought far more joy to life that did those pristine label-wielding beanie babies,
    being tucked into the closets of my wife's friends in the optimistic hope that their eventual sale will fund their kids' college educations someday.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Somewhere, I'm sure, are those "collectible" beanies that my lovely paid $100 for.
    Limited Editions. Ya, limited to how many they could sell.

19. Well as a boy who staged firecracker warfare with anthills I certainly can't say much about hiding out and sniping Beanie Babies. Now the ritualistic gutting and displaying of them...............:eek: