Question about D3100 lens

Hi folks, hope everyone's well. I'm an absolute beginner and I have question regarding my camera. I have a D3100 with the standard 18-55mm lens. When I try and take wide angle shots at 18mm I find that, more often than not, the lens can't seem to find focus and, therefore, won't let me take the pic. It doesn't seem to matter, either, how distant the focal point is (far away hills or inside the house), I end up having to zoom in slightly or use manual focus.
Also, when I do manage to get a shot, the picture is never completely clear, on closer inspection it looks slightly hazy and out of focus, particularly around the edges. Is this a common thing, or something I could be doing wrong or a fault with the lens. Any shots from around 24mm and upwards are bob-on and crystal clear.
Cheers,
John

Just try to understand the hyperfocal distance and focus that area alone. Go for F7 or smaller aperture..the sunny 16 rule still works..Those simple things would solve your issue

I have a D3100 with the standard 18-55mm lens. When I try and take wide angle shots at 18mm I find that, more often than not, the lens can't seem to find focus and, therefore, won't let me take the pic. It doesn't seem to matter, either, how distant the focal point is (far away hills or inside the house), I end up having to zoom in slightly or use manual focus.
Where was your focus sensor? Which is asking, what AF mode was selected? Probably Auto AF, which was probably the issue.

Try AF-S, so you can see (and select and control) your focus point.
See D3100 manual page 55-60.
Esp see page 56, about reasons why. If your focus sensor was on something like blue sky, there is no detail there to focus on (and shutter will not operate). If focus sensor was on a near foreground object, distant background will be an issue, and vice-versa. See page 56.

I suggest AF-S is normally always the best right answer (except for moving subjects). You can see the focus sensor then. Put it where you want the focus to be, your choice. You can use the selector to move it around in the frame (page 60). Or, you can simply aim it with the visible sensor where you want it to focus, and hold shutter half press down to focus, and while holding to lock it (also page 60), then re-aim to compose your picture, and full press, so that focus will remain where you previously aimed it.

If there is an important subject, focus there (like the near eye of a portrait, or the person in a landscape). Otherwise, in general, it is often good to focus at around 1/3 (to maybe 1/2 for closeups) of the distance into the depth of the image view (hyperfocal, to maximize the depth of field).

It is your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom