Question about displaying a print in triptych

I have an image that I want to print in three pieces. Instead of trying to make three equal sized gallery wraps, I would like to see what you all think of cropping the main subject and printing the rest as side panels. Here is the image:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
If I were going to do a triptych with this image, I would give it a more "pano" type crop. I agree with having the arch in the center and then a side panel on either side - you wouldn't want to break up the subject.....

Watch the darks, blacks in the sky on the left. You don't want them to block up in print. Also make sure there is plenty of detail in the brightest parts of the arch.

I agree with Karen. If it were mine, I'd cut out a good portion of the bottom, just below the car light streaks. I think it gives a more pleasing ratio. Also, that portion of the shot is quite bright and competes too much with the main subject, which really stands out against the dark sky when I scroll down to "crop off" the bottom portion.

Agree with the crop suggestions. I just want to add, if you are taking this to a larger print, lose all the crap in the background that is as bright or brighter than the subject. Those street lights that are blown out along the background, the light building and other stuff to the right need to go, imho. Just keep enough dark detail there to define the ground. As I learned as I print big, these little things that are not an issue on a web sized image become quite noticeable when they are enlarged.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom