1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question about Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jprphotography, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Today my new 23" LCD screen came today. I'm now using two monitors...should i consider getting a better graphics card of more RAM?

2. As long as you're happy with the existing one, keep it. If you notice things slowing down then change.

3. guess that depends on what you currently have

4. 2GB RAM with GeForce 8600 GT graphics card

5. skinny

skinny

Jan 18, 2009
    FL
    can you run separate color profiles on each monitor?
    I mean....are you calibrated?

6. I think that your graphics card will be fine for dual monitor and working in photoshop. If you do 3d rendering or solid modeling, it should still be adaquate, but again it would depend on how much of a power user you are in those areas.

I would say upgrade to 4 gigs of ram. It is so cheap to do so, and will allow you to utilize your desktop area more without worrying about bog. i am not sure if xp will recognize 4 gigs (i think the 32 bit version cams off at 3), but vista can for sure.

I run one of my monitors in vertical orientation. seeing a full page of email/forums/blogs is AMAZING! try it sometime.

Enjoy!
    Enjoy!

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    id say you should be set, im running duals offthe bsic nvidia onboard that my comp has grnated it does full HD and all and seems to be decent esspecially for onboard, give ita shot if things slow way down on ya then you might need to do osmthing

8. not yet...one of the things i need to do soon. not sure bout the separate profiles though.

9. I run dual monitors. I have a 23" and a 19". You can run them in different resolutions and frequency. If you were happy with your system before adding the new monitor then you won't notice a change in system speed.

One tip I will give you is that using this free program: http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/ you can do a lot of neat hacks and even load different desktops on each monitors including rotating desktop images.

10. Add the memory. I'm running two 22" monitors on an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, the largest improvement I saw was going from 2GB to 3GB of RAM. If you are running XP, it can only address 3GB, if you are running Vista, have fun with it. I am using an Pantone Heuy Pro to calibrate my monitors and so far it has been spot on, no complaints.

11. This is key if you want to edit using both monitors. i run NX2 and have the browser on one monitor, edit panel on the other. The last thing you want is to have the two images look different. Unless you ignore one you can drive yourself nuts color correcting.

skinny has it right, if your card doesn't, get one that does. Remember that this will also come into play if you want to view other images as well on either monitor.

12. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    The main reason I bought the Heuy Pro was its ability to calibrate two monitors to separate profiles. The cheaper calibraters can't handle that.

I don't think it's 100% perfect. I have a couple photos that are very sensitive, and they show extremely close but not perfect. But then, the two monitors are about 4 years apart in age. That said, I don't ever plan on running without calibration again. Even on a computer that will never do photo editing.

That's on a business computer. It has 2gb of RAM and runs a lot of business apps with no problem. I haven't tried a high end photo editor on it.

On my home machine, WinXP shows 3.24 GB of my 4 GB installed memory. My motherboard has a special memory striping feature that allows faster access when memory is installed in pairs. It was quite inexpensive to install two pairs of 2GB sticks.

BTW, it's not a Vista vs XP issue. It's 64bit vs 32bit. The 32bit version of either OS is limited to that 3.24 GB.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.