Question about flash + medium tele lens + D or no D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnnymg, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Greetings

I'm in the market for a 180mm Nikon lens and I'd like to know if the newer D version is the "way to go" if I plan on using an SB-800 + D2H combo with this lens. :?:

There are plenty of non-D 180s floating around but I really want to use a flash for a particular application. I.e. 20' distance semi-shadowy portraits. Someone who has a non-D lens for sale has advised me that a flash isn't really useful with the 180mm. I'm a bit confused about that as the SB-800 has a pretty long distance "throw".

Price isn't the issue but if I really can't use the flash with a 180mm then I might as well go with the non-D. Oh, as a goof I mounted my 300mm AFS on my D70 and used the pop up flash. The combo actually worked pretty good in a darken'd house. Pretty amazing................. so I would figure the SB-800 would be even better.

newbie looking for insight
  2. Flew

Jan 25, 2005

By 'won't work' was your friend referring to iTTL? Like you, I can't imagine that it wouldn't at least work in the M mode. :?

Keep us updated on this one.

3. Not sure if the seller was specifically referring to iTTL mode............ but would a '180 D' work in iTTL mode? I'm assuming iTTL is the "smart" (fully auto) mode. ???