Question about Grey Lenses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by faenix, Jul 12, 2005.

1. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Does anyone know where to purchase Grey 28-70 and 70-200 lenses? I know BHPhoto has them on their website but they always say 'backordered'. Does anyone know any online retailers that carry these lenses? Please LMK.

Chong

2. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Plenty of Places...

Let me ask a question though - why do you want grey market lenses? A warranty can be your best friend.

Most of the larger dealers give you the option of Grey and/or US lenses. You can try Adorama for one. Delta International (used to get a lot of good play at DPReview) though I have never purchased from them myself sells just grey lenses (I think) and they reportedly do MAC waranties.

-JM

3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Maybe he means grey in color.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I feel that the more complex (i.e., zoom, VR) the lens the more reason to have the USA Warranty.

On a "prime" I would be less concerned.....and since I now have 3 "used" lenses, the issue is moot for me.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Some of the Nikkor lenses come in a light gray color. These reflect more sunlight, and so stay cooler in the sun, plus they fool the competition into thinking you have a Canon. ;)

NK40028AF2SU.

I do not know where to get them though, and I prefer the black lenses anyway.

6. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Yeap, I meant grey color not GREY version.

I think they're much better looking than the black and am dying to get them.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    being out in the sun for 8 hours one day eagle nest watching I would have liked the grey version, but then I would have been razzed by all of the Canon guys about not having the real thing! lol

I was outgunned by 6-7 to one a lot of days, but you know, they did like the images I took!

I just put a white towel over the body of the lens., worked fine.

Wade

8. marc

marc Guest

b&h will order them for you

i have a 70-200vr in grey , it is cool and different

they do cost a little more

9. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Was the 70-200 also 'backordered' when you bought it? Do I just call them up or e-mail them to order it?

10. marc

marc Guest

call them on the phone
    it's an 800 number.
    just tell them you want a grey lens and how long will it take to get it

very simple, b&h is a very good store and the people on the phone are knowledgebable

just don't waste there time

enjoy

11. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Just gave them a call and they said they can't order from Nikon direct. :(

Anybody know any mail-order camera places that might carry this elusive lens?

12. tjgreen

tjgreen Guest

As a used gear shopper, it seems like the grey lenses tend to fetch less than the black ones - anyone else notice that, or is it just me?

BTW, before you snicker about grey lenses, I know a guy with a Nikonos, for which he's got various lens attachments. He got tired of dropping and losing them on dives, so he painted them dayglo orange. On the plus side, he hasn't lost one since, and he's never, ever had to worry about theft.

13. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Tjgreen, have you found any gray colored lenses on the used market lately? I'm near desperation to get ahold of these two elusive lenses.

14. tjgreen

tjgreen Guest

Chong, sorry, I haven't been looking for those two. If I see one, I'll let you know.

15. marc

marc Guest

Nikon USA Price : $ 1,649.95

Shipping Cost

Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF Autofocus Lens (Vibration Reduction) - Light-grey

Mfr # 2140 • B&H # NI7020028AFQ
    Availability : Back-ordered

| See note |

if you go to b&h website, put lens on your wishlist, they will notify you, when available

obviously, these lens are in great demand

enjoy

16. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    The lens has been 'back ordered' for about six months now. That's why I've come here to see if anyone knew about them.

I'm assuming the 28-70 and 70-200 grey lenses were discontinued. That's the best explanation I suppose..