Question about handling two cameras

A question for you guys who shoot sporting events with two cameras. I do a bit of horse show photography and have been using either the 70-200vr or the 300 2.8. I have always shot the 300 on a monopod, (I'm an old guy:smile:) My question is that if I am using both bodies, what is a good solution for hanging onto the monpod, while I am shooting the other camera. Thanks for any ideas.
Joe

1. You can drape the 300 over your shoulder, lens pointing backwards, and cradle the monopod w/ your arm.

2. If you're next to a rail, you can drape the 300 over the rail and brace the monopod w/ your body.

3. You can use the lens strap around your neck to let it hang while you use the 70-200 (kinda heavy)

4. You can set the 300 on the ground

Note that I have my 70-200/D300 on a RRS strap which helps me to pull it into position quickly.

I use the 70/200 & 300 2.8 also ( on a D700 & 300S)

I tried straps. I'm too active twisting & turning - they clanked.

I use a TT Ultra light (it square). I have both lenses with hoods turned & ready on the ground, open the top and place combos back in. With a monopod I just lay it outside the pack

Of course I need to vacuum the inside of my back pack frequently.. :biggrin:

Rags

check out scott sewell's youtube videos Joe, shows how to do exactly that.

Personally I have my 70-200 on a r-strap and have learnt to shoot it one handed at a pinch

I use the Blackrapid RS DR-2 Double camera strap. It is a pain to sort out handling all the stuff dangling about as I walk..as if I am not careful and adjust them wrong, the cameras and lenses can swing into stuff.

With this set up I shoot a 70-200 2.8 with 1 camera and a 300 2.8 with the other. It works ok and better than the 2 single straps option.

www.spiderholster.com for the smaller kit. Its much nicer on your hip than hanging off your shoulder.

As for the big guns...over the shoulder or on the ground really is where they end up being most of the time when not in use
bb

put the monopod in the crook of your left elbow when you pull up the body w/ the 70-200 that is hanging on the black rapid strap.

i prefer the 70-200 on an ungripped body and i attach the black rapid strap to the camera body not the lens

i do this w/ a 400vr and a 300vr on a monopod, it works well

and i'm also an old guy:smile:

Latest posts

Top Bottom