Question about High Speed Crop

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Catz, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Hi everyone,

I was playing around with the HSC tonight and when I played back the images, they were not in focus. If anyone here has worked with HSC, could you give me an idea how I use this feature and to be able to keep all of the pictures in focus? Am I suppose to have another setting on when using this feature or is this just a feature that can be used only outdoors which I was playing with it indoors?

Thank you,

Melissa

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    pics played back in HSC should be sharp too

My guess is that since you used it indoors, the pic is just blurry in and of itself, from camera shake, due to a shutter speed being too slow. Post the pic, or at least the shooting data, then we'll be better able to advise.

3. Trust me I know all about out of focus indoor shots. I am trying to learn about indoor photography as well. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. SETTING

You know there is a setting that you can use to not to take any pictures until they are in focus, easy and handy way is to have it set on for continous focus mode and then you can use the switch on the front left of the camera to just switch it on for these situations.

Also sonce two of the focusing element are not being used, theoretically this could have something to do with it, but not likely of course

Setting controlling this is customs settings menu/a1/focus (the middle one suppsedly is for when you shot continously, haven't tried that one yet)

5. Re: pics played back in HSC should be sharp too

Hi Steve,

I just put the camera in P so I could play around with the HSC. I used no flash just the light from the kitchen so this may have something to do with it but here are the settings you asked for: I think the shutter itself was too slow but I was just playing with it in P program. If I were to use the SB800, would it fire fast enough for the HSC to focus all of those pics. I must have fired off 30 pics before the buffer was full. I just couldn't believe how fast it keep shooting. It sounded like a machine gun going off. LOL!!!!

Metering - Matrix
    Shutter 1/8
    Aperture 2.8
    EXP -0.3
    focal length 32mm
    ISO 100
    White Balance Auto
    Color Mode - Mode 3

6. Re: SETTING

Thanks Andreas, I will give that a try

Melissa

7. Daniel,

I guess you and will be learning at the same pace. At least I don't feel so bad. I knew the D2X would be a learning curve from the S2 when I bought it but that is okay. I love this camera and one think I won't let it do, is beat me :D

8. Melissa, it is pretty hard to hand hold your camera and shoot at 1/8 of a second. Some are successful doing that at 1/15 of a second but you are much safer keeping your speed around 1/30 of a second or faster. The SB800 flash is capable of doing multi-burst shooting, but certainly not 30 of them. :) I notice that you were shooting at ISO 100 and would suggest that you kick that up some when shooting inside without flash.

9. Thanks Gordon.

I thought so but I was just messing with the camera and I thought if I put it in P it would pick a high shutter speed according to the light.

I almost always use M mode but I was indoors so I just put it on P and let it roll just to see what would happen. I am beginning to think HSC is better for outdoors and I can't wait to get outside.

I'm suppose to go on a Wildlife Preserve field trip on Sat but the weather is suppose to be cold. I still planning to go. I'm hoping to catch some bird shots for flew and all of the birdwatchers here and this is where I think the HSC mode would come in handy.

Melissa

10. Melissa there is an auto ISO which will select the ISO that will allow you to take a successful image indoors on P. It probably would have kicked the ISO up to about 400 (or maybe higher) so that your shutter speed would be high enough to allow properly exposed images.

11. billT

billT Guest

Hi Melissa,

Try doin git with the Sb800 (with fresh batteries). I was pleasantly surprised that the flash can keep up with the high speed stuff!

Using the flash, one does not have to worry about handshake.

BillT.

12. Thank you both Gordon and Bill. I will give it another try.

I don't know about you two but I can't say enough how much I love this camera! I'm ashamed to say it but I love it more than the Fuji S2

Melissa

13. To say anything else on this forum would be blasphemous Melissa. :p :p

14. billT

billT Guest

What S2PRO? My was so covered with dust I cannot even find it. It My S2Pro has not been used since I got the D2H. I love the D2X as well. It got all the features I ever wanted in a digital camera.

BillT.

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Re: pics played back in HSC should be sharp too

Ok, that says it all right there. Your shutter speed needs to *at least* match that of your focal length, and imo, that includes the 1.5 crop factor. So, if you're shooting @32mm actual, then your shutter speed needs to be *at least* 1/48th sec. You notice how I say *at least*. That's because not everyone is steady even at shutter speeds that are reciprocal of the focal length used. Program mode is going to give you magically fast shutter speeds that you need without increasing the ISO.

Regarding the HSC mode, it will do any and every thing the exact same as regular full frame mode. There's no difference whatsoever with regard to shutter speeds, or the need to shoot outdoor to make it work right. Just get that notion out of your head that it's somehow "different". Hope this clears up the air a little for you. You say you usually use M mode, but most photogs I know, unless they're in the studio using M, use A priority far more than ony other, unless they need to maintaion an exact shutter speed, then they would use S mode.

16. Re: pics played back in HSC should be sharp too

Thanks alot Steve. This is good advice and I plan on giving it a try again. I guess I got in this M mode when taking a small photography class. That is the first thing that was taught to us so it just stuck in my head. I used to use A mode all the time. In my makeshift studio, I use A mode because I let the light meter tell me what aperture to set it too and I set the shutter speed myself.

Melissa