Question about IR Conversions

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by MRIMATT63, Aug 16, 2008.

1. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    I hope that it is Ok to ask a question here ? I am contemplating converting my D70 to IR with Life Pixel. I was just curious about two of the conversion types and any thoughts on each.

Standard or Enhanced ?

Thanks,

Matt.

2. Howdy Matt,

It's been interesting seeing Joe's enhanced version from Lifepixel, it sure rendered some very neat and interesting colors.

Louie's shots are from the R72 IR Filter look to them,

There is also one for B&W to just throw another option in<G>.

I have the R72 Version and it seems to flow pretty easily from Colorized to B&W depending on post processing. I am not sure if you would like some B&W's how the enhanced version will post process for that.

I do have to say I have gotten hooked on shooting IR. I seem to shoot more IR these days than I do color images on my D200<G> so be wary, it's addictive.

I will be interested in seeing what everyone else's thoughts are on this.

3. The problem with trying to make an intelligent comment on this thread is that I doubt few if any of us have both types of converted camera. I have the standard conversion and like it. It is a simple matter to convert my IR images to B&W when I want to and also to "enhance" my shots in post processing. If you got a B&W conversion you can not go back to color should you want that. For the enhanced conversion it may save you some time in post processing but then again, you may not want everything enhanced. I personally would like to try the enhanced conversion just to see what I thought about it.

4. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Thanks

Thanks both of you for the replies. I think I would rather have the "standard" IR conversion and perform any enhancments myself.

I will have to ponder this one for awhile.

Matt.

5. Everyone is correct. Difficult to say which conversion is best. I have the enhanced version and if you want to see some of my photos I will try to add a link to my IR collection. Good luck with your decision. Try here:
    http://www.thesmokingcamera.com/p1030474992/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008