Question about ISO settings

I've searched the forum and could not find much, so I must ask.

In general how do you select your ISO? Are you using the Auto ISO setting or are you selecting ISO based on available light/time of day?

I understand there are many variables to consider, but with the D300 is it easier to use Auto ISO and then control Shutter, Aperture, EV Comp etc.?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

It really depends upon your Exposure Mode IMO. IF you shoot Program, Aperture Priority, or Shutter Priority, I guess Auto ISO would be useful.

I shoot almost exclusively in Manual mode, so I set my ISO, along with Aperture and Shutter Speed. Unless I am shooting handheld in a lowlight setting, I usually try to keep ISO as low as possible to get the best IQ.
Auto ISO may be convenient, but you don't what you're getting, and you can be sure there will be noise. That doesn't work for me.

Thanks Adam. I have been playing with Shutter & Aperture Priority mostly since I got my camera. I was noticing the varying ISO's but I have not printed anything large enough to see how much noise has been introduced.

I'll work with lower ISO's and experiment. Thanks again.

I find it very useful in very changeable light where shooting full manual is going to result in poor exposure or in apperture too low a shutter speed - example in sports in late afternoon shadows.

Ed,

Your question is a very good question. If you are really interested in this, I strongly recommend that you get a copy of Bryan Peterson's excellent book on exposure. The book is inexpensive, readily available and highly informative and readable.

Regards,
Tom

Ed,

Your question is a very good question. If you are really interested in this, I strongly recommend that you get a copy of Bryan Peterson's excellent book on exposure. The book is inexpensive, readily available and highly informative and readable.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks much.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom