Question about KATZEYE Optics

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by italy74, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Hi all there
    is there anyone able to tell me easily why should I buy a Katzeye screen? Is it that better than Nikon standard one in manual focusing? I also read that grid lines are still available even with the new screen. Is that true? Any other field or interesting tip about that? Thanks

2. Ciao Debult

I've seen the katzeye site but I prefer asking to you who really use it and don't earn any money from their sale and can really tell if that's better or not and how much.

All the best

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I have purchased two Katz Eye screens from Rachel Katz. She is GREAT to work with and a true professional.

I highly recommend them.

Don

4. I use mostly manual focus Ai(S) lenses. Focusing with these is a breeze with the Katz eye - highly recommended!

5. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I have it on my D200.. It works wonders.

6. kjoosten

kjoosten

May 1, 2005
    Houston, TX
    All the aids you see with the stock screen are still there with the KatsEye (grid lines, AF indicators, etc). Those are on a component not related to the screen.

7. Hi all there, and thank you very much: I've another question: when you use AUTO focusing, how does the screen behave? do you still see microprisms and cutted lines adjusting? Exposure aside, is it someway messing the normal AF view while focusing?

Thanks again

8. I have one on my D200. The installation for the D200 is pretty tricky while it is very easy for the D2X. The D200 is a blind installation. It took several tries for me to do the D200 while so far I have done two D2Xs which were a breeze. If you get it for your D200 have the folks at a camera shop do it. It took me so long that dust accumulated in the plastic piece from putting it in, failing, taking it out, putting it in, etc.

Rich

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I wrote a review last year (Katz-Eye) about my initial impressions of the screen, and I can't add a great deal further. More than thirteen months later, I can only say that the use of the Katz-Eye made a great improvement in my camera, allows me to shoot with manual focus lenses far better, and was one of the better investments in equipment that I've made. It's specifically allowed me to use fine Nikon glass like the 58mm f/1.2 "Noct" with great success.

As for the grid lines, those are typically software managed within your camera, although you can purchase different "hardware" grid line options from Katz Eye. You should be able to find it in the menu system of your camera - it's item D2 in the display menu for the D200, for example.

I'd strongly recommend e-mailing or telephoning Rachael Katz with questions. I found her to be absolutely customer oriented, and a genuinely nice person as well.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. After reading about the Katz-Eye on here and other forums, I decided to go ahead and get it installed in my D200. Rich Gibson had warned me about the difficulty of installing it myself, so I simply sent my camera in and let the good folks at Katz-Eye install the focusing screen. It works a treat, especially for shooting macros or with manual lenses.

The very day after I had purchased my D2Xs I ordered the Katz-Eye focusing screen for it. No need to send the camera in this time, as it is much easier to install a new focusing screen in the D2X or D2Xs. Rich, bless his heart, installed it for me and now I'm in business. It really does make a difference when shooting macro images or when shooting in manual....

This is one valuable resource and tool! Don't hesitate: order what you need now and you will really be glad that you did.

11. I bought the cheap version from Virtual Village at www.virtualvillage.com for my D200. As it's only about $ 35.00 I figured it was a good way to start to see if I'd like it etc. I installed it myself with no problem, though the metal wire can be a problem. Main thing is to really look at which way things go when you take out the original D200 screen.

I may one day upgrade to the real Katz Eye screen, but for now I'm fine with the virtual village one & at $ 35.00 I didn't see it as a huge loss should I dislike it.

Spot metering can be an issue, but I actually think my D200 just loves to underexpose no matter what. I'm learning to compensate for that.

For my two manual lenses, 105mm f/2.8 Kiron Macro lens & my 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor, the screen is a wonder to have. With Nikon's screen you're really guessing.

JMHO

Lil

12. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I bought a Katz-eye screen from Herb for my D200. The installation took about 24 hours to worry about it and 5 minutes to actually do. I had the same experience the first time I cleaned my sensor - lots of worry, no problem.

The Katz-eye does seem to help my macro focussing, but here's my question: It's been a long time since I used a split-prism for focussing. But I seem to remember two clearly delineated half circles coming together to make an in-focus image.

With the Katz-eye, the two half circles are too out of focus to be lined up, until they come into focus, by which time they are already lined up. In other words, the split-prism doesn't seem helpful at macro distances.

The screen itself IS helpful, just the split part isn't. Is this experience normal?

DAB