1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

question about models ages?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fastfoci, Jul 27, 2009.

1. fastfoci

fastfoci

Jan 23, 2009
    Rochester NY
    i have a question. i would like to know what is the legal age you can shoot photos(non-nude) of a model without her parents consent? ive been told it is 17 not 18?

2. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    I'm not sure, but I would 18 and older just to be safe.

3. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I believe it is 18 because they cannot legally enter a contract until they are 18. So if you have them sign a release, if the model is 17, it is not worth the paper it was printed on.

I just always assume 18.

Daniel

4. fastfoci

fastfoci

Jan 23, 2009
    Rochester NY
    what would happen if you shoot pix of a girl that told u she was over 18 and she was only 17? also not having her sign anything to take the photos because it is not being sold or used to make $.

5. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Provided that you acted in good faith, and truly didnt know, you would be up a creek without a paddle. The contract would legally be void, as she/he was underage. and as a professional you would be held accountable for not checking valid ID.

If she had a fake ID, and lied like a champion, you have better grounds for retaining your photos, but you would most likely be forced to get parental permission before publishing them.

It is a tricky business. It would be best to clear all your models age/permission crap before the shoot. If you do spontaneous work, my recommendation would be to require a drivers licence and invest in one of those Blacklight pens to validate the license.

The legal quandries of this area are immense, and i dont have any cases or nomenclature to reference, but the safest bet is the most cautious.

Daniel

6. Youre opening yourself up to world of trouble without a signed release and especially if she is under 18.

7. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    +1

8. fastfoci

fastfoci

Jan 23, 2009
    Rochester NY
    so from what im reading im starting to think maybe i should take a photo of each girl holding up there id before each shoot?

9. There is no starting, thinking or maybe in this matter. You absolutely need to verify their ages and have the appropriate releases signed or else you are likely to end up in court or worse. Youre best bet would be to talk with professional photographers in your area and see what they do to check and verify ages and what releases they use for models. Also it might also be wise to talk to an attorney who delas with modeling/entertainment etc.

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    This is one of those "if you have to ask it is probably better not to bother in the first place" cases.

I would also research the case a model shows you a fake DL. Does due diligence protect you against that? What is considered due diligence in those cases? You'll probably need a lawyer for those answers - or stick to older models just to be on the safe side.

11. If she can't prove beyond a doubt that she's over 18, have her bring a mother or guardian along to stay for the duration of the shoot, and have the parent/guardian sign the release.

12. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    ask before the shoot not after

13. copy her DL and have her sign saying it's reall and all that,

that way if they are fake and the parents come after you, you at least have something to cover your but

or have them provide the birth certificated and DL

2 forms of ID

14. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    I will get a hold of my aunt. She owns a modeling/talent agency. She would know a lot more than me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.