question about models ages?

i have a question. i would like to know what is the legal age you can shoot photos(non-nude) of a model without her parents consent? ive been told it is 17 not 18?

I believe it is 18 because they cannot legally enter a contract until they are 18. So if you have them sign a release, if the model is 17, it is not worth the paper it was printed on.

I just always assume 18.

Daniel

what would happen if you shoot pix of a girl that told u she was over 18 and she was only 17? also not having her sign anything to take the photos because it is not being sold or used to make $.

what would happen if you shoot pix of a girl that told u she was over 18 and she was only 17? also not having her sign anything to take the photos because it is not being sold or used to make $.
Provided that you acted in good faith, and truly didnt know, you would be up a creek without a paddle. The contract would legally be void, as she/he was underage. and as a professional you would be held accountable for not checking valid ID.

If she had a fake ID, and lied like a champion, you have better grounds for retaining your photos, but you would most likely be forced to get parental permission before publishing them.

It is a tricky business. It would be best to clear all your models age/permission crap before the shoot. If you do spontaneous work, my recommendation would be to require a drivers licence and invest in one of those Blacklight pens to validate the license.

The legal quandries of this area are immense, and i dont have any cases or nomenclature to reference, but the safest bet is the most cautious.

Daniel

Youre opening yourself up to world of trouble without a signed release and especially if she is under 18.

so from what im reading im starting to think maybe i should take a photo of each girl holding up there id before each shoot?

so from what im reading im starting to think maybe i should take a photo of each girl holding up there id before each shoot?
There is no starting, thinking or maybe in this matter. You absolutely need to verify their ages and have the appropriate releases signed or else you are likely to end up in court or worse. Youre best bet would be to talk with professional photographers in your area and see what they do to check and verify ages and what releases they use for models. Also it might also be wise to talk to an attorney who delas with modeling/entertainment etc.

This is one of those "if you have to ask it is probably better not to bother in the first place" cases.

I would also research the case a model shows you a fake DL. Does due diligence protect you against that? What is considered due diligence in those cases? You'll probably need a lawyer for those answers - or stick to older models just to be on the safe side.

If she can't prove beyond a doubt that she's over 18, have her bring a mother or guardian along to stay for the duration of the shoot, and have the parent/guardian sign the release.

copy her DL and have her sign saying it's reall and all that,

that way if they are fake and the parents come after you, you at least have something to cover your but

or have them provide the birth certificated and DL

2 forms of ID

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom