Question about moving files

When moving files of photos from iMac to an external hard drive, do y'all just move them from finder or from photo shop? For some reason, I can't move my files using Elements 10. Dunno if this is an "apple problem' OR "Elements problem" or "stupid me problem" Any help will be appreciated

Then they do not belong to a database, right? Just drag. When you do that they are copied. If you are worried moved the originals into the trash but do not empty.

When I work on images, say in Photoshop or Aperture, after I have finished processing the image I tuck it into a folder on my desktop (usually in preparation for then copying it to my online gallery at Zenfolio). Usually when you've finished working on an image you need to save it, right? Don't you then choose a destination for that saved image, such as a folder on your desktop or in your Pictures folder? In my case, after I've completed processing an image I save it and the fully-processed images are ready in another folder for public viewing.

When I am ready, I upload (copy) all the images to Zenfolio. The next time I am ready to run a backup of my system or if I for some reason want to copy the images in that folder to another computer or something, it's a simply a matter of opening the external drive and then copying the images (entire folder)from the computer's hard drive into that external drive.

Recently I bought a new iMac. Instead of running Migration Assistant, when I was ready, I copied relevant folders in the older computer to the external drive and then copied those from the external drive right into my new machine. Voila! I now have the images in my pictures folder, my complete music collection (including iTunes) in the music folder, movies in the Movies folder, etc., etc. Once I installed Aperture in the new computer I was back in business as far as working not only on new images but also in revisiting older images that are in my Aperture library already.

Does this help or have I confused you further?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I work on images, say in Photoshop or Aperture, after I have finished processing the image I tuck it into a folder on my desktop (usually in preparation for then copying it to my online gallery at Zenfolio). Usually when you've finished working on an image you need to save it, right? Don't you then choose a destination for that saved image, such as a folder on your desktop or in your Pictures folder? In my case, after I've completed processing an image I save it and the fully-processed images are ready in another folder for public viewing.

When I am ready, I upload (copy) all the images to Zenfolio. The next time I am ready to run a backup of my system or if I for some reason want to copy the images in that folder to another computer or something, it's a simply a matter of opening the external drive and then copying the images (entire folder)from the computer's hard drive into that external drive.

Recently I bought a new iMac. Instead of running Migration Assistant, when I was ready, I copied relevant folders in the older computer to the external drive and then copied those from the external drive right into my new machine. Voila! I now have the images in my pictures folder, my complete music collection (including iTunes) in the music folder, movies in the Movies folder, etc., etc. Once I installed Aperture in the new computer I was back in business as far as working not only on new images but also in revisiting older images that are in my Aperture library already.

Does this help or have I confused you further?
I'm not confused - just can't figure out why I can't get anything to work. After I process, I sometimes leave the photo in the original folder with the raw file, if it's important, I make another folder. All the files show up in finder along with all the originals and edited being in elements - basically 2 copies - I think. I just want to move the files all to an external hard drive and so far, I haven't been able to get it done.

It's been years since I've used PS Elements and I haven't really even used Photoshop all that much this last year or two, so I'm stumped as to what the problem might be here and how to help you resolve it.

As for copying from the computer's HD to an external HD....... plug in the external and then open it up first, then open Finder. It should be a simple matter, then, to drag the folders you want (which, as someone has said, copies them) from the computer's HD to the external HD. If you've had a problem with the photo files, maybe you could try with something else first just to be sure you're doing things correctly. Click on your "Documents" folder in Finder, then click on a document within your documents folder and drag that to the external drive. Does that work? If it doesn't then there's something not working quite right somewhere along the line......

Ah -- something just occurred to me. Is your external drive properly formatted to work with a Mac? Have you used this HD before or is it new? If it's new the first thing you need to do is to ensure that it is properly formatted, and the easiest way to do that is to go to Disk Utility and make sure that it is set up for (I think it's called) "journaling extended" or some such..... Maybe that's your problem?

It's been years since I've used PS Elements and I haven't really even used Photoshop all that much this last year or two, so I'm stumped as to what the problem might be here and how to help you resolve it.

As for copying from the computer's HD to an external HD....... plug in the external and then open it up first, then open Finder. It should be a simple matter, then, to drag the folders you want (which, as someone has said, copies them) from the computer's HD to the external HD. If you've had a problem with the photo files, maybe you could try with something else first just to be sure you're doing things correctly. Click on your "Documents" folder in Finder, then click on a document within your documents folder and drag that to the external drive. Does that work? If it doesn't then there's something not working quite right somewhere along the line......

Ah -- something just occurred to me. Is your external drive properly formatted to work with a Mac? Have you used this HD before or is it new? If it's new the first thing you need to do is to ensure that it is properly formatted, and the easiest way to do that is to go to Disk Utility and make sure that it is set up for (I think it's called) "journaling extended" or some such..... Maybe that's your problem?
Yes the hard drive is formatted. I'm currently consolidating files and will make another attempt at moving them off - from finder.

I've tried everything I can think of - I even made sure everything was unlocked. There's something I'm missing somewhere and dunno where. I'm going to try finding someone local that may be able to come over and help me. I've never been this frustrated!

When he says "properly formatted", I think he means formatted as HFS+ (Mac) filesystem. Most drives ship formatted as FAT32 or NTFS (Windows compatible).
you were right! had a friend do team viewer with me and we got it resolved. Now, 1 more ?

If I back up all my photo files, will I be able to delete from Elements? I'm wanting to start over from scratch, change the way I do things, clean house, what ever you want to call it. Just by moving photos to consolidated folders ended up breaking connections. Now I gotta fix that!

I guess I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned that it needed to be formatted for the Mac..... MOST external drives are formatted for Windows machines. That's one reason I usually buy G-Drive external drives, as they are already formatted for the Mac. Glad you were able to resolve the problem, Dianne!
Me too COnnie! I'm still learning how to use my iMac but geez, I love this thing! NOW I'm trying to get some photos reconnected but wonder if I should just delete them from the catalogue. I'm trying to read my manual but haven't gotten many answers YET.

I guess I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned that it needed to be formatted for the Mac..... MOST external drives are formatted for Windows machines. That's one reason I usually buy G-Drive external drives, as they are already formatted for the Mac. Glad you were able to resolve the problem, Dianne!
Reformatting a drive is incredibly simple...no need to buy the mac-specific drives.

Plug drive in, open disk utility, select the drive, click the Erase tab, keep the default settings (mac os extended journaled, rename if you want), click Erase. It'll take a couple minutes (depending on size of drive) and once done, it'll be Mac formatted.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom