Question About Older Lenses

I've got a Nikon FA with a Nikkor 35-70 zoom and a Nikon Series E 70-210. I also own a Panasonic FZ-20, which I thought would be a good entry into digital photography. Love it except for the low light focusing problem. Thinking of selling it and getting a Nikon D50 with a kit lens.
Since I'm new to digital photography, I realize my questions may seem silly, but by asking I will learn. Can I use the existing manual lens with the D50 and what will I not be able to do with them? I plan to buy the entry level of Nikon's auto-focus zoom lens a bit later. I enjoy shooting wildlife and landscapes, plus an occasional indoor family event, which becomes a problem with the FZ-20. :roll:

As far as I know, the D70 and the D50, just like it, won't be able to meter with this lens: you could still use the manual mode and look at the histogram at the back of the body, adjust and reshoot. The kit lens (18-70 for the D70 and I think 18-55 for the D50) will cover most of the same range as your manual lens, will meter automatically and will also auto-focus. Is you zoom a fast lens, eg f/2.8? That's about the only thing these other lenses may not have... Either way, you'll enjoy your digital Nikon and will soon be infected by a disease known around here as "Lens Lust Disease (LLD)"! ;-)

I am using much older lenses than that with my D70 and basically following what Philippe has suggested with respect to histograms. Works very well even with faked AI like on my metal-mount 28/2 (one of the first lenses to be mulitcoated, even before multicoating was announced) - it makes for a dandy fast normal lens for the DX format.
Tom

I don't know about the D50, since it is not yet out, however, I have a D70. You can use the older lenses with the "D" chip for metering and autofocus. If the lenses don't have the chip, and not AF, you can still use them as a "preset" lens. You may also use the electronic lights in the view finder to assis manual focus.

Enjoy, Bill

MF lenses are fun

I have a collection of old lenses ranging from a 20/4.0 to a 300/4.0 ED (nonIF), and many in between. Once you get the hang of using the histogram (or use a separate light meter) the camera acts exactly like an old style all manual machine, with automatic stopping down of the aperture. Is the 35-70 the AF version? It's a great lens.

MF lenses are fun

I'm still trying to figure out how to indicate to whom I am replying. Anyway, regarding my Nikkor Zoom 35-70, it is manual, vintage late 1980s. I love the lens and wish the D50 were coming with a similar autofocus lens. I'll be interested to see this new camera. Supposed to be out in June according to Ritz. :)

Re: MF lenses are fun

Vandyu said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to indicate to whom I am replying.
Just click the "Quote" button to the right of the message box and edit out what you don't want to include.

Welcome to the Cafe, btw! :)

Vandyu said:
Anyway, regarding my Nikkor Zoom 35-70, it is manual, vintage late 1980s. I love the lens and wish the D50 were coming with a similar autofocus lens.

The newer 35-70/2.8AFD is often found used at a good price at a place like KEH. They are very reliable with a great return policy. And that lens is terrific.

patrickh said:
The newer 35-70/2.8AFD is often found used at a good price at a place like KEH. They are very reliable with a great return policy. And that lens is terrific.
Thanks, Patrick. I'll keep this in mind.

Kevin Scott said:
Vandyu said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to indicate to whom I am replying.
Just click the "Quote" button to the right of the message box and edit out what you don't want to include.

Welcome to the Cafe, btw! :)
Wow! Thanks, Kevin. It's a little different from some forum setups, but it works!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom