Question About Older Lenses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vandyu, May 14, 2005.

1. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I've got a Nikon FA with a Nikkor 35-70 zoom and a Nikon Series E 70-210. I also own a Panasonic FZ-20, which I thought would be a good entry into digital photography. Love it except for the low light focusing problem. Thinking of selling it and getting a Nikon D50 with a kit lens.
    Since I'm new to digital photography, I realize my questions may seem silly, but by asking I will learn. Can I use the existing manual lens with the D50 and what will I not be able to do with them? I plan to buy the entry level of Nikon's auto-focus zoom lens a bit later. I enjoy shooting wildlife and landscapes, plus an occasional indoor family event, which becomes a problem with the FZ-20. :roll:

2. As far as I know, the D70 and the D50, just like it, won't be able to meter with this lens: you could still use the manual mode and look at the histogram at the back of the body, adjust and reshoot. The kit lens (18-70 for the D70 and I think 18-55 for the D50) will cover most of the same range as your manual lens, will meter automatically and will also auto-focus. Is you zoom a fast lens, eg f/2.8? That's about the only thing these other lenses may not have... Either way, you'll enjoy your digital Nikon and will soon be infected by a disease known around here as "Lens Lust Disease (LLD)"! ;-)

3. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    I am using much older lenses than that with my D70 and basically following what Philippe has suggested with respect to histograms. Works very well even with faked AI like on my metal-mount 28/2 (one of the first lenses to be mulitcoated, even before multicoating was announced) - it makes for a dandy fast normal lens for the DX format.
    Tom

4. I don't know about the D50, since it is not yet out, however, I have a D70. You can use the older lenses with the "D" chip for metering and autofocus. If the lenses don't have the chip, and not AF, you can still use them as a "preset" lens. You may also use the electronic lights in the view finder to assis manual focus.

Enjoy, Bill

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    MF lenses are fun

I have a collection of old lenses ranging from a 20/4.0 to a 300/4.0 ED (nonIF), and many in between. Once you get the hang of using the histogram (or use a separate light meter) the camera acts exactly like an old style all manual machine, with automatic stopping down of the aperture. Is the 35-70 the AF version? It's a great lens.

6. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    MF lenses are fun

I'm still trying to figure out how to indicate to whom I am replying. Anyway, regarding my Nikkor Zoom 35-70, it is manual, vintage late 1980s. I love the lens and wish the D50 were coming with a similar autofocus lens. I'll be interested to see this new camera. Supposed to be out in June according to Ritz. :)

7. Re: MF lenses are fun

Just click the "Quote" button to the right of the message box and edit out what you don't want to include.

Welcome to the Cafe, btw! :)

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Re: MF lenses are fun

9. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA

Thanks, Patrick. I'll keep this in mind.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Rob sez they have 'em in stock at Berger Bros.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA

Wow! Thanks, Kevin. It's a little different from some forum setups, but it works!