Question about powered USB hubs

Real Name
Ken
I have a Transcend 4-port, powered USB 3.0 hub that I use on occasion for AC-powered 3.5" drives and bus-powered 2.5" portable drives. Normally I only have one portable drive plugged into the port at a time and that has not been a problem. But, I am going to be working on a project where I might need to have 2 or 3 drives plugged in and spinning at the same time and that got me to wondering about how much power is needed to not have issues. My understanding is that a normal portable, bus-powered drive consumes approximately 900 milliamps. The wall wart that I have for the port outputs 1.5 amps at 12 volts to the 4 ports. A lot of larger hubs (e.g. Anker) talk about how much wattage they have (35-60 watts) and the need for all ports to be properly powered to avoid issues like data loss, but I do not know how to determine if what I currently have is enough or if I should consider a larger and more powerful hub. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
FWIW.....I recently bought a new laptop from B&H. I was concerned about the limited ports and spoke with B&H techies about a powered USB.

THIS is the one they recommended......

I used the hub in conjunction with the power adapter. I used the 4 hub ports for the dongle for my wireless mouse, a card reader for my XQD cards and 2 Samsung T5 external SSD HDs. And the micro USB port to charge a phone. No problems transferring lots of images (500-1000). However, I did not use LR to copy to the two HDs at once. I copied the images to the T5s sequentially.

Real Name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FWIW.....I recently bought a new laptop from B&H. I was concerned about the limited ports and spoke with B&H techies about a powered USB.

THIS is the one they recommended......

I used the hub in conjunction with the power adapter. I used the 4 hub ports for the dongle for my wireless mouse, a card reader for my XQD cards and 2 Samsung T5 external SSD HDs. And the micro USB port to charge a phone. No problems transferring lots of images (500-1000). However, I did not use LR to copy to the two HDs at once. I copied the images to the T5s sequentially.
That is the same port that I have. Most of the items that you mentioned, excepting the phone, draw minimal power from a hub. My understanding is that portable 2.5" HD's tend to push ports to their limits. I know that one HD is okay, but two or possibly three is what concerns me. Having said that, other than having to occasionally unplug/re-plug the power supply from the port to "wake it up" when I plug in drives, it has served me reasonably well (and that may possibly be due to a PC setting controlling the USB port).

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
When the drives arrive, I can. But I am usually not a fan of experimentation with equipment, especially hard drives, if I have an alternate way of determining if something is considered proper. When possible, better safe than sorry.

--Ken

When the drives arrive, I can. But I am usually not a fan of experimentation with equipment, especially hard drives, if I have an alternate way of determining if something is considered proper. When possible, better safe than sorry.

--Ken
Usually all the 3.5 HDDs is have are self powered with their own adaptors, so not a problem.
The SSDs are not a problem either, obviously.
I rarely connect more than 2 2.5 HDDs on the same hub.
I have had up to 4 but split across separate powered hubs or hubs and docking station.
In fact I always buy the manufacturer’s docking station for all my laptops.

Real Name
Ken
Usually all the 3.5 HDDs is have are self powered with their own adaptors, so not a problem.
The SSDs are not a problem either, obviously.
I rarely connect more than 2 2.5 HDDs on the same hub.
I have had up to 4 but split across separate powered hubs or hubs and docking station.
In fact I always buy the manufacturer’s docking station for all my laptops.
Agreed on the power draws. I don't think that I would imagine more than two 2.5" drives being active at the same time, but it is the calculations to confirm if the wall wart to the port is sufficient that has me stumped.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Does your new computer have a USB-C connection? I wouldn't get a USB hub these days that didn't also do USB-C. I'm converting everything to USB-C, phone, tablet, PC, camera, etc.
My laptop has USB-C Thunderbolt ports in addition to a USB-A 3.x port, but my desktop only has USB-A 2.0 and 3.x. I would agree going forward, but I am not replacing this desktop any time in the near future.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Really? Most all PC's already have way too many USB ports on the back. Mine has 12!
Well, my unit unfortunately does not have 12 ports, a number of the ones available are already in use, and the few remaining are not easily accessible given where my PC is sitting on my desk.

--Ken

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about power supplies and cables and therefore less space is taken up. And the specs of the drives are laid bare as well, so I choose reliable fast, drives. Cost a little more but I have had not a single failure. If you can Use SATA connection you will get very good performance too and decent over usb 3.

Docking stations are nice for bare drives. I had not planned on using bare drives, but that is an option.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom