1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question about printing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taat2d, Jul 27, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I have a small 4x6 Epson Photo quality printer. Why is it that when I crop an image down then try to print it on the Epson parts ALWAYS get cut off? Is there any way I can stop this from happening?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Joe, are you cropping your images with a 4x6 crop in your editing software? If you aren't cropping, some of your image will be cut off automatically in the printing process. If you crop using a 4x6 aspect, you should not cut anything off via the printer.

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    So I have to set this up using CS3 to crop for a 4x6? Correct.

4. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Still having problems with this. I'm about to smash my computer this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo DAMN frustrating. And costing me money wasting all this frigging paper.

I set the crop tool to 4x6. Now when I try to crop the image I can ONLY crop a portion of it. What the hell am I doing wrong??????????

5. Nothing wrong, other than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole! :eek:  Think about it, and then think about it some more. :wink:

Images have a certain aspect ratio (i.e. ratio of width to height). Either you keep that ratio when you crop, or you are changing the aspect ratio and one of two things must happen: either you will distort the image, or you have to crop away a portion of it.

In other words, 4x6 is a different aspect ratio than 5x7, etc...

6. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    If your image is a vertical aspect then set the crop tool to 4 in the first box (width), 6 in the second (height). If it is horizontal reverse the numbers, 6 in the first, 4 in the second.

7. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I tried that. So does that mean the image might be too big to crop it down a lil AND keep it as a 4x6?

8. I feel your frustration - I recently cropped about 75 pictures for the web - I went CRAZY on the cropping and some of them looked like a panorama!

Then I was asked to print them all...

Dammit - I ended up with kids chopped at the knees - no soccer ball in the pic - all kinds of crap

So I had to go back to the originals and re-crop, setting the crop to 4x6

You can set portrait or landscape to determine the 4x6 orientation

9. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Paul I tried to set the crop to 4x6. I went back to the original image to recrop to 4x6 and STILL COULDN'T crop it for some reason. I wish I knew why. When I tried to crop to 4x6 it still cut off half the image.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.