Question about resolution

Ok, I feel really dumb asking this question but I have to ask it. I just recently got a D700 and I'm finding that some of my photos have a resolution of 72 dpi and some have 300 dpi. This is troublesome because sometimes I need the res to be 300 and it appears it's happening arbitrarily. I know this is probably something basic I should know but is there a setting on camera that I should be looking at or... It doesn't matter if I shoot in RAW or jpeg, and I have it set to "large" for file type.

Thanks in advance.

Are these different resolutions showing up in different computer programs? The numbers are actually irrelevant and what you should be looking at is the total number of pixels reported. I assume you want 300 for printing so divide the total# by 300 and you'll get the # of inches you can print at 300 ppi.

Larry

I'm using CS4 but my pics actually download into my Mac's iphoto first then I put the ones I like into photoshop to edit. On a 72 pix/in. photo the pixel dimensions are 3148x2824 while the document size is 43.72x39.22. On a 300 res photo the pixel dimensions are 3584x2692 and the doc size is 11.94x9.97. Do you think iPhoto is messing with it? Thanks for your help!

I don't know about the Mac software, but those resolution numbers have nothing to do with the resolution of the shots you're taking, as such. Generally speaking computer monitors have a screen resolution of about 72 dpi and when printing the resolution will be 240 or 300 dpi. The exact settings for print resolution probably depend on your hardware as well as the software (including the printer driver). As has been said, divide these dpi numbers into the pixel dimensions of the photos taken by the camera for an indication of how large the images will be, on the computer or in a print.

Open your pic in cs4 and go to image then down to image size and click,,,,that will give you pixel dimension plus this outrageous amount of MB's...but that is pixel dimensions...then on down it will tell you the image size in pixels or inches and also dpi.....if you were shooting raw and running lightroom then I would change your preferences to 300dpi or even 400 dpi with the D700.......
I am not sure what is going with the software you are using tho, cause the pixel dimensions should not change even when you change the dpi unless the resample box is ticked under image size, when actually the only box that should stay ticked is the constrain proportions box.....any way that is my thinking.....resampling can uprez or down rez and image file and I personally do not like the results...never have, so I use Genuine Fractals for that.....forgot they now call it perfect resize.....

Thanks to everyone's help here I have finally figured out why the resolution is coming in weird on different photos on the same card -- it WAS the application (i know... duh..). I noticed that pics coming into bridge all had the 300 resolution, but when my card downloaded to my Mac's iPhoto application, some photos downloaded with a resolution of 72 and some 300. You guys were right! It was the stupid application! Thank you, thank you! I'm grateful :)

..., so I use Genuine Fractals for that.....forgot they now call it perfect resize.....

I recently saw the advertisement with the name change. How do you like it? Is it worth the $100 for the update? I purchased a license several years ago but now am interested in large-scale printing. I'd appreciate your assessment.

Thanks,

Rich

I recently saw the advertisement with the name change. How do you like it? Is it worth the $100 for the update? I purchased a license several years ago but now am interested in large-scale printing. I'd appreciate your assessment.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, I know you posed your query to Art but I use the latest version of Perfect Resize (aka Genuine Fractals). I don't print extremely large (11x14 is about a large as I normally go) but I do use Perfect Resize to help in printing lower sized, lower resolution originals. I have found that with a little tweaking of the original in PS and then an upsize using PR, I can get very satisfactory prints (up to about 8.5x11) from "camera phone" quality originals. I find this pretty impressive given that most of the originals have been about 2x3. This has been important to me since our first grandchild is in Austin and we are in Colorado Springs and most of the pictures I get are via iPhone posts to Facebook. (PP these has upped my Photoshop skills considerably. :biggrin:)

By way of comparison, if I simply take the edited images of, say, 2x3 and print an 8x10 (using LR or Photoshop CS5), the resulting print is heavily pixelated. Using Perfect Resize the prints, while not super high quality are certainly "wall worthy" and show no pixelation.

I will be doing some fairly large panoramas later this summer. I'll have a better idea of how PR works with giganta-prints then.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much! Of course I'm interested in anyone's experience and appreciate the feedback. About a week after seeing the re-advertisement of Genuine Fractals/Perfect Resize my son brought me a photo his friend wanted enlarged. When I got it to 8x10 I found visible pixelation. It looks like the update might have given me a better print.

Rich

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom