Question about selling your pictures.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timross, Sep 23, 2008.

1. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    OK, someone I do not know sent me an e-mail today asking about buying one of my pictures. How she found me, I do not know. I know that when I go out taking pics, I usually burn them to a DVD or CD and give them to friends of mine for them to use as wallpapers on their PC or whatever. I never started taking pictures in hope of selling them, to be honest, I just enjoy taking them. Anyway, I guess I want to know how do you set a price on a picture? To be honest, it really is an honor that someone would want to buy a picture I took. Any suggestions/advice/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    It depends. Is it just a print? Commercial use? Do they want the digital file? Whatever it is don't undercut everyone else because you're flattered someone wants it.

3. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    I guess just a print. The e-mail I got said she saw a picture I took from Pisgah National Forest, and she wants a print of it to frame. I have never sold one of my pictures before, so I have absolutely no idea what to sell it for. I have created banners, logos, and graphics, but I charge an hourly rate for that. What about a picture?

Thanks.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    What size print do they want and how many? If they want an 8x10 charge "x" amount. If they only want one 8x10 make it where they could get two for a little bit more.

For example 8x10 runs $17.00...make it where they have 2 8x10's for $28.00.

5. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    So just find out how much it will cost to have it printed, then charge a little bit more. Thanks. I didn't know if there was a "going rate" for pics.

I'll find out more tomorrow when I reply to the e-mail. I just didn't want to give her a low quote, then have all her friends ask me for pics, and I didn't want to charge too much and scare her off. Actually, I think I am still in shock that someone wants to pay me for it.

6. It's entirely up to you. I give my pictures to friends/ family for free and depending on the picture/ what the person whats to do with it, I pick a price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.