Question about swapping motherboards

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by kwork, Aug 8, 2007.

1. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I bought a new PC and soon discovered through my lack of thoroughness that the mobo doesn't have a PCI express (x1) slot.
    Many folks would say no big deal, but I bought an AverMedia dual tuner card I was hoping to use as well and I can't swap it for another one that doesn't require the little slot.

So, I bought an ASUS motehrboard with nearly the same specs as the one in my PC, except it also has the additional slot I need.

My question is this: What all should I anticipate with this swap. Is it basically Plug and Play if I unplug/uninstall/reinstall? I'm going to be using the same everything except the motherboard.

Old Mobo: ASUS: P5LP-LE
    New Mobo: ASUS P5L-VM 1394

Should I get an antistatic wrist strap or is contact with the power supply case sufficient? Will Windows XP know what drivers to update or will I have to manually reconfigure?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. Going to have to do a fresh clean install of the OS since each board uses different drivers and Wiundows has to load the specific drivers...

3. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I think they both used versions of Intel 945 chipsets. (check your manual to confirm this). Most likely Windows will run OK with the new MB.

Unless humidity is 30-40% static should not be a problem. Its also quite straight forward to change the MB, so don't worry. Just make sure to connect the fans!

4. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    They both have the 945 Chipset. Like I said, the specs are nearly identical except for the extra slot.

5. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Honestly, unless you're prepared to deal with small little errors and annoyances all the time I'd do a clean install of the OS with the new MB. It COULD work ok, but there's every likely hood that it will just be one headache after another until you have to do a fresh install anyway.

6. Maybe one word of warning. Microsoft is feeling the pinch and likes to keep its revenue stream in place. Changing motherboards is a major item and they may consider that the licensed XP you have with the last motherboard should stay with the last motherboard. They may be more understanding if the last board died and you replaced with something similar.

Chris

7. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Since both MBs have the same chipset, the new MB will most likely work with existing drivers. I'd suggest you go ahead and download the latest drivers for your new MB before you make the change so you'll have them if Windows asks for them. Then go ahead and install the new drivers if you didn't have to on first boot. I'd wait to install the new video card until after the new MB is installed and got the drivers updated.

On my latest build, I had to use the MS customer service twice before I got the system set up to my liking. I first installed without enabling the RAID array and when I re-installed, I had to call MS for re-activation. The CS rep was courteous and it took less than 5 minutes on the phone to get activated.

Then I screwed something up and decided to do another clean install... Again, had to call CS to get activated. Again, no problem. Kind of a PITA, but at least a minor one.

So then I made an Acronis image of the C: drive so the next time I want a clean install I won't have to start from scratch(and call CS again).

This was on a new OEM copy of XP Pro SP2 and I was expecting some major hassles from MS based on what I'd heard about their policy on changing systems. To my surprise, things went surprisingly well. I just told the CS rep what I'd done and what I was trying to do and they re-activated my copy of XP with no problems...

OMIGOD!! I think I just said something nice about Microsoft!!! :redface::redface:

Bill

8. I JUST DID THAT TODAY!!!!

Completely different board, different drivers. XP asked if I wanted to reactivate, I said yes, no problemo

Start up is really slow, figuring I have some drivers clashing and will need to work on that. Clean install is a far far better way to go. This was a temporary solution, I'm figuring that come mid winter there's going to be an all new system. Just haven't decided if it's going to be another POC MS driven product or mac.

My biggest problem so far??? Outlook is sending my inbound mail, somewhere, and I have no idea where. Guessing I'm going to have to pay for support from India :(

9. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

new motherboard = fresh install. plain and simple, unless both boards are identical. in your case, they are not.

You will feel much better and you won't end up spending time troubleshooting driver conflicts, etc... plus it gives you a chance to reload only the things you need and not clutter your registry as much. before you swap, just make sure you have all the latest drivers for each device, especially the NIC, so you can access the web and download the drivers you have missed. good luck!

10. Forget about driver conflicts etc, I'm dealing with even weirder issues :( Outlook won't show data new emails, even tho they have downloaded. For some stupid reason I'm missing a data file. Have an old version of the file, but not a recent one. Quicken support rocked, we found the backup version of my financial data on another computer. MS Office won't run without generating errors. upset enough there may be some fruit in the office soon!

11. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    OK, got my motehrboard delivered and started to do the swap. Went to swap the CPU and fan and the new mobo doesn't have threaded receivers incorporated into the mobo. I look at my old mobo and it has an X-shaped metal brace on the backside of the mobo with the threaded receivers incorporated. Is that meant to be swapped out too? Seems awfully snug and I don't want to break anything. What is it called? Can I order one or pick it up locally? Can't cost more than a couple bucks.

12. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Kevin, it's called a (motherboard) backplate. Those backplates normally come with the heatsink and sometimes (in your case) are also mounted on the motherboard.

A pre-mounted backplate is there for two reasons: 1. to make it easier for customers, and/or 2. the back of the motherboard has some elements that would conflict with a generic backplate.

You could check if the backplate on your old motherboard is screwed on and then try to remove them. The hexagonal "receivers" around the socket hold the backplate in place. However, sometimes they're bolted and then you can't.

I'm not familiar with your old motherboard and it sounds like an OEM board. You could go to a local shop and ask for a socket 775 motherboard backplate they might have lying around. Anything more than $5 is a rip-off. Failing that, get a new heatsink for your motherboard and make sure it has a backplate.

Hope it helps.

13. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC

If I remember correctly, it seemed like the screw holes expanded around the holes in the motherboard like a wall anchor expands into drywall. Maybe they are a 1-time only type of backing plate.
    Thanks for the explanation and correct terminology. I'll check it out.