Question about taking head shot for pay

I am nowhere near a professional photographer, more like a hobbyist bordering on obsession. I was approached today by an acquaintance who has seen my work and needs a head shot done in the next few days to submit to a casting director. She offered to pay me for the image(s). From my limited experience with stock photos, I see there are all kinds of legal considerations.

My question is, what kind of paperwork should be exchanged between us, and do I need any paperwork from the subject of the image?

Do I retain the copyright?

Having never done this before, I'm sure there are issues I'm probably not even thinking about. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Have m sign a model release, and give them a commercial print release(but where you still remain the actual copyright holder).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have m sign a model release, and give them a commercial print release(but where you still remain the actual copyright holder).

Hello Dossy,

No paperwork what so ever required, no model release…
Just issue a receipt that you were paid so much for so many photos
and you are clear!

This will cover you.

Have a good time!
Thank you both Micah and Kodiak for your replies. The deed is done, and no papers were exchanged. This is all new territory for me. Not being a "professional," I'm just hoping was stuff was decent enough.

Real Name
Chris
You only need a model release if YOU are going to use the photos commercially. They might need a release if you give them an electronic version and they try to get it printed. The print release is a document that gives the holder permission to print a file that may be copyrighted by a third party (you in this case.) A model release is a document that you have your model sign that gives you (the photographer) permission to use their likeness for commercial purposes. Generally, uses such as art prints and posting on internet fora are not considered commercial.

These comments refer to US copyright law. In other countries they may (and do) vary.

You only need a model release if YOU are going to use the photos commercially. They might need a release if you give them an electronic version and they try to get it printed. The print release is a document that gives the holder permission to print a file that may be copyrighted by a third party (you in this case.) A model release is a document that you have your model sign that gives you (the photographer) permission to use their likeness for commercial purposes. Generally, uses such as art prints and posting on internet fora are not considered commercial.

These comments refer to US copyright law. In other countries they may (and do) vary.
that is SUPER helpful, thanks!

Dossy,
Typical practice is the actor will have many (hundreds) copies printed by a commercial printer to distribute to various casting directors. All agents are different in what they expect from a headshot so talk with the actor's own agent (not the casting director) if you can. Women will bring a makeup artist or do their own and men usually arrive unshaven and do a set of pictures then shave and do another. Take lots of pictures then submit a printed sheet with 10-20 thumbnails to pick from. The eyes are very important and if the actor wants to be photographed in glasses, you need to take the lenses out. If you give the agent what he/she wants then you should get a lot of repeat business.
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Chris. I already gave a disk to the person actually submitting these photos. So far I haven't heard that she had a problem printing them. Being a real amateur, this might be a one time deal for me; but I do feel like I'm in preschool as as far as knowing the legalities. I know about the model and property releases for stock, but this situation is throwing me.
Dossy,
Typical practice is the actor will have many (hundreds) copies printed by a commercial printer to distribute to various casting directors. All agents are different in what they expect from a headshot so talk with the actor's own agent (not the casting director) if you can. Women will bring a makeup artist or do their own and men usually arrive unshaven and do a set of pictures then shave and do another. Take lots of pictures then submit a printed sheet with 10-20 thumbnails to pick from. The eyes are very important and if the actor wants to be photographed in glasses, you need to take the lenses out. If you give the agent what he/she wants then you should get a lot of repeat business.
Pete
Thanks Pete! We did a series of indoor and outdoor shots. He is a very intense person, and I tried to concentrate on his strength through his expression. I really appreciate your advise. When I looked over the shots, I really understood why you have to shoot so much. The most minor thing can make or break a shot. This is all a learning experience!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom